Heimerdinger Looking to Use Cook for Mismatches

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, May 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goTitans.com

goTitans.com A living legend. Staff

SUMMARY: Titans Offensive Coordinator Mike Heimerdinger plans on using the 6-5, 246 pound Jared Cook for mismatches as his size and athletic ability should be able to terrorize opposing linebackers and safeties. "He’s got real natural soft hands, and he adjusts very well," Fisher said. "One can make the case that maybe he is a wide receiver after what we saw today, but he’s got a lot of work to do. He’s a very smart kid. He runs good routes and understands them well, and I think he’ll be pretty good for us." Fisher envisions Cook at somewhere around 255 to 260 pounds eventually without losing any of his speed or shiftiness. "I think he’s got growth potential. I think he could add another 15 to 20 pounds," Fisher said.

View full article
    What do you think about this story? post your comments below.

2. MOB-TARCIZ21

MOB-TARCIZ21 Camp Fodder

dude is really gonna help the run game...stretch the feild n force the defence to change personal when hes on the feild.Kinda like gates, dallas clark, shannon sharp

3. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Isn't this what they tried with Ben Troupe? It's a good idea, but I don't believe in talk. I will be all for them using Cook like Indy uses Clark. Trading up like they did in the 3rd round shows they feel he's a steal, but he's a rookie. I'll say to Jared Cook what I said to Chris Johnson; "show me something". Hopefully he shuts me up.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. GMITTS

GMITTS WHY VY SHOULD BE OUR #3

i think he will be bo's replacement by years end.

5. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

I'm pretty sure they just rewrite this article every offseason, but insert different names and measurables.

Whoo, how exciting!

6. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

i wonder if we start hearing the catchy phrase "He went to Jared"

• High Five High Five x 2
  7. amy

amy Starter

Bite your tongue!! :lol:

8. HeadOnASwivel

HeadOnASwivel Pro Bowler

I don't know, why play him at TE? I just don't see why they should try to make him bulk up then teach him how to block, seems like too much trouble. If he puts on more weight, chances are he'll lose some of that speed and quickness. He started out a receiver correct, why not try him out there if he somehow fails then try the bulking up TE experiment?

Think about it, he's 6'5" 246 with 4.5 flat speed, that's faster than Britt, Nicks, Crabtree, and many other receivers drafted this year... and none of them possess his size. Quite frankly, I'd put him a receiver, he and Britt would be a pretty amazing combination. Talk about big receivers that can run.

9. soopacee

soopacee I'm Blaine Bishop

Coach Compares Titans TE Jared Cook To Ed McCaffrey

Titans offensive coordinator Mike Heimerdinger compared rookie Jared Cook's (South Carolina) receiving skills to those of Ed McCaffrey, according to the Nashville City Paper. Heimerdinger said, "Ed McCaffrey was that big. I do not know if there are many tight ends that big. I cannot remember any tight ends like that, because he is so big." Heimerdinger would like to use tight end Cook to create mismatches with his size (6-5, 246 pounds) and athletic ability. He should start the season third on the depth chart behind Alge Crumpler and Bo Scaife.

http://www.rototimes.com/nfl/player.php?tqid=7680

10. ColtKiller

ColtKiller Starter

Quite Frankly, thats a stupid idea. Dude is too big to have the agility needed to shake NFL DBs. TE all day

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar