Heimerdinger Wanting More from WRs

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Aug 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

My point exactly. We have nobody but ourselves to blame.

Maybe so- but your statement was that they hadn't played in one game that meant anything. You are acknowledging that the pre-season games do mean something- just not as much as practice. My point was that pre-season games do mean something from an evaluation standpoint.

Talk to Heimerdinger about that. He was one who made the statement to the press about our WR's current performance.

The issue is what we have been willing to spend versus perceived value of the FA. You are right to say the Titans haven't been enticed by value to pick-up any WR's. The value is their judgement call. I could list every WR FA from TO on down to Anquan Boldin- most of which are better WR's than what we have on our roster. But the FO didn't see the value. It goes back to my prior post. If our offense can score enough points to win without spending that kind of money- then the decision not to spend was prudent and wise. If not, then it wasn't. We didn't score a lot of points last year and despite an OC change we haven't so far this pre-season. Am I worried? Not as much as other b/c I do believe we will use a different strategy in regular season. But I absolutely do not like to see the pitiful separation and dropped balls I have seen thus far from our WR's. We haven't seen a whole lot of slip screens or TE work which I believe will be the bulk of our passing game. Chow couldn't get that strategy to work very well, so we'll just have to see about Heimi.

2. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

We had the golden opportunity in rd one to take any WR we wanted.

I don't care if a guy doesn't contribute heavily his first year as long as he eventually becomes productive. You draft a guy for his long term potential.

To be honest i would have preferred fred davis over another RB but i don't want to get into another debate about CJ....

3. wplatham

wplatham U of M Class of 2012

I won't argue with you too much, but I truly believe Johnson will have more yards and scores this year than any rookie wide receiver. And I really don't care what position it comes from as long as we get the production.

I know the argument is tempting...fight the feeling, Roll :gag:...lol.

4. TheSureThing

TheSureThing Straight Cash Homie

Jeff makes some good points, but the one I really agree with, is the fact that they're were no Big name receivers out there this free agency. Ask anyone with an inside position in the NFL and they will tell you this free agency was weak as hell..

And the only ones worth giving a shot at, Stallworth and Hackett, for 1 were overpaid to go elsewhere, and for 2 are #2's at best.

We need a #1 and there weren't any in the draft or free agency.

5. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill Camp Fodder

Football is a team sport not a QB sport, Vince is still learning to position and because of this he needs extra help.

Tell me again about all this help he has been given? We have drafted 3 runningbacks. Great but we need extra help in the passing game.

Our biggest free agent signing is a TE; great but we already had a good TE so how much improvement is that really.

We have drafted some WRs; this is true but has any of them shown anyone anything? We need a proven commodity at WR, someone who can scare the hell out of a defense and get seperation.

CJ is a step in the right direction depending on how we use him, if all we do is use him as a runningback then how will he help the passing game.

This team needs WR talent and right now we don't have jack. So while Vince is still learning he is going to have to carry this team by himself.

6. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

How many starts before we say he is no longer learning and just playing?

This is year 3 of a 6 year contract.

And what bar is there for vince? Nobody is expecting a 90+ passing rating. Nobody will complain if he is just an average passer as long as he can run like he does.

Yes a team game and we have built a great defense so we don't have to score much to win. We signed both our OTs to big deals so we don't lose them and we signed a guard in scott.

VY has nothing to complain about.

7. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Bill, who is this known commodity at WR we should have gotten. tell me his name.

8. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I'm only saying the coaches see the players 20 times more in practice than a preseason game so I'm not ready to call the WRs bad just because they have a few drops in one half of a preseason game.

Last night, I thought they did okay. I believe Scaife and Hall had a drop but nothing from the WRs.

But these WRs are NOT AVAILABLE. Honestly, if you want to gripe on the front office for not bringing in a WR free agent, at least talk about player they actually could have brought in.

Go back and look at the WR free agency list since the Titans came out of cap hell and tell me who they should have brought in. In year one after the purge, they brought in Givens and paid him as a #1. In the last two years, the pickin's have been slim.

You have a legitimate gripe about the drafting/development of WRs the Titans have taken the last few seasons. But many of those guys may still develop. Time will tell.

9. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

You are preaching to the choir on the Titans not taking a WR in the first two rounds. But they apparently felt Hawkins was as good as those taken in the second/third and thought Jones the better option. We'll know in time.

What I'm saying is that no WR taken in this draft would make a huge impact on the Titans team THIS season because it's rare for a rookie WR to do so. We better hope Gage, McCareins and Jones stay healthy and they get some production from Hawkins in certain packages.

10. wplatham

wplatham U of M Class of 2012

I totally agree with that assessment. That's why I will complain about the play of our wideouts, but I won't claim that the FO is doing nothing to help Vince Young. They have tried, they just haven't been very successful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar