Helmet to helmet

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by tex-titan, Oct 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gkgtchey

gkgtchey Camp Fodder

The difference is that James Harrison doesn't think he can still play effectively under the "new" rules. These rules aren't new James!! you dirty sob!! The steelers are the dirtiest team in the nfl. and always have been. LLoyd, Woodson, Hampton, all the way back to Lambert and co. Tomlin is still insistent that the hits that Harrison was fined for were legal. You have to change the coaching mindset of these idiots. Cower was worse than anyone. And Knoll before that...
    Ive always said if the Steelers cant be dirty, they have nothing. Harrison at least addmitted as much. Retire you P.O.S. before you retire someone elses career!

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. titanflamer

titanflamer Starter

I dont believe he will retire. I think he is just mad cause he got caught and that he cant hit folks the way he likes, when they arent expecting it. The 75 k fine might have had a little to do with it.
    I hope he does quit.No way you throw a qb to the ground like he did without doing something wrong.
    Ray ray may be in for a surprise also.

3. CKTitan

CKTitan Special Teams Standout

And torn ACLs because you're gonna see more horse-collar tackles in a defender's desperate attempt to prevent the receiver from taking it to the house.

4. Raistmagic

Raistmagic Starter

Since when do horse-collar tackles result in torn ACLs?

It's amazing what a baby James Harrison is. He acts like he's such a bad @ss and then cries as soon as he gets in trouble. Threatening to retire? Wow. I hope he retires and ends up in prison after he roid-rages in real life.

I actually find Ray Lewis to be a lot cleaner than Harrison these days. He's had a ton of demolishing hits but they haven't been helmet to helmet (at least what I've seen).

5. tex-titan

tex-titan Camp Fodder

Not according to the NFL...

In 1996, the NFL instituted a rule change that prohibited hits initiated by the defender with his helmet or targeted at the head of an offensive player. The penalty was classified as personal foul misconduct and resulted in both a 15-yard penalty and subsequent fines from the NFL.

Harrison clearly made helmet to helmet contact with Joshua Cribbs but it isn't called.

I don't have a rule book so I can't quote you the rule but that what I have seen a fair number of websites.

Website

6. tex-titan

tex-titan Camp Fodder

The horse-collar is particularly dangerous due to the awkward position of the player getting tackled, who will often fall backward in a twisting motion with one or both legs trapped under the weight of his body. This is exacerbated if the player's foot gets caught in the turf and by the additional weight of the defender. Potential injuries include sprains or tears to ligaments in the knees and ankles (including the ACL and MCL), and fractures of the tibia and fibula.

7. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

Calico

8. Johnnyrex

Johnnyrex Starter

I really don't get it... why so many people is trying to make a issue out of this!!!

You cannot launch into a defenseless player head or neck.

Nothing more simple... the NFL is not taking the big hits out of the game, is not changing the game to be played by girls or whatever ppl are crying about...

A defenseless player is a receiver catching or trying to catch a pass. If you don't want him to catch it, tip the ball, intercept it, tackle the guy or rip the ball out, just don't throw head-shots to someone who has no chance of defending himself... (this is a cheap shot)

Helmet to Helmet contact is legal in the NFL. It's only a penalty on that half a second that a player has no means to defend himself. Quite simple!!

9. Titan_Cam

Titan_Cam Camp Fodder

This is incorrect. See post #16. The NFL has not been enforcing its own rule. "defenseless" is nowhere mentioned. Neither is "launching". According to the rule, hits directed at a running back's head with a forearm, helmet or whatever are not legal either. The NFL however has not enforced this completely, and it doesn't appear that they will begin to.

10. Johnnyrex

Johnnyrex Starter

Sorry, but it's correct!
    Here is the rule 12, section 2, article 8:

"...
    h) If a receiver has completed a catch and has not had time to protect himself, a defensive player is prohibited from launching (springing forward and upward) into him in a way that causes the defensive player’s helmet, facemask, shoulder, or forearm to forcibly strike the receiver’s head or neck area—even if the initial contact of the defender’s helmet, facemask, shoulder, or forearm is lower than the receiver’s neck.

Note: Launching is defined as springing forward and upward by a player who leaves his feet to make contact on the receiver. "

Please tell the one rule that says: "hits directed at a running back's head with a forearm, helmet or whatever are not legal either."

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar