Help me pick a major for my bachelor's!!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by SEC 330 BIPOLAR, Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

ok guys... I would really love some advice... I need to get into UT-Chattanooga and it would really help if my transcript and associates transfer matched up with a program. I've been aimlessly taking courses, like a shot in the dark and I absolutely need to pick a major pronto!

Here's what I have credits/hours

English Composition I & II
    Western World Literature I
    Music Appreciation
    Humanities I
    Statistics I & II
    College Algebra (pre-cal)
    U.S. History I & II
    World Civilizations I & II
    Sociology
    General Psychology
    Abnormal Psychology
    U.S. Government
    Cultural Anthropology
    Computer Literacy
    Public Speaking
    Substance Abuse Theories
    Introduction To Social Work
    Interviewing and Interpersonal Skills
    Principles of Accounting I
    General Biology I

That's 70 hours of credit right there and I still need to take another section of Biology in the fall... so I figure I will take 3 or 4 more classes along with Biology... why Biology? I kind of like it and it's a little tougher than some of the other options and I figure I might have more options with it. I really need to pick some electives that are spot on. Some of those Human Resources classes aren't going to do a thing for me except pad my GPA. So what I want from you guys is advice based on personal and anecdotal experience... Have you heard of an interesting program or thought that there was one you might have liked to look into when you were making your choices? Initially, I was leaning toward social work but over time I kind of soured on it. I kind of envisioned myself as Toby Flenderson, you know, like from The Office... I always liked his character a lot. Seriously though, any thoughts any of you guys might have would be much appreciated.

2. Chapparal97

Chapparal97 Grumpy Old Fart

What do YOU want, money or happiness/fullfillment? We all want both, but sometimes we are led down a path of one or another.

Social work/HR doesn't pay much, but Psychology can. In hindsite, if I had a do-over, I would've gotten a law degree when I was younger. You can pretty much write your own ticket there. Business, government, social services, etc. Medical Administration is also an in demand area. Not neccessarily seeing patients, but the business side of medicine.

In this economy, just having a bachelors doesn't always help. My oldest daughter has a BS in liberal arts and works at Best Buy, my middle daughter has a BS in Theatre and is a Barista at a coffee house in Seattle. They are dissapointed in life nonetheless. Choose wisely.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

An HR manager position will pocket you about 70k a year. Not too bad for the nice/relaxed job that it is (typically).

4. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

i think he wants to make the most money he can with the least amount of work.

thats whats wrong with mexicans these days. or is that Americans?

5. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

So far in my short working life Ive found that it's more important for me to enjoy what I'm doing, rather than making bug bucks. Money can bring happiness, but if you dread going to work everyday, is it worth it? I say no.

6. Aqutis30

Aqutis30 Do you mind - NOT being a Motaur?

QFT!!! I am a perfect example of what Chapparal is talking about when he said just having a Bachelors doesn't always help. I have been graduated for 6 months now and I haven't gotten the first interview (when I thought for sure I'd be hired within the first couple of months). Think about what industries in Nashville are dominant, my understanding is that healthcare is a huge industry as well as logistics here, but I don't have experience in either area so I am screwed. If I had one point of advice to give you it would be DO AN INTERNSHIP!!!!! Not doing one is most likely the worst decision I've made in life so far.

As far as the program goes he hit on this as well, either you are going for the money or you are going with the intent of doing what you are passionate about, this is the essential question you have to ask yourself. Take me for example, I am a liberal arts kind of person and I know that the BA degrees according to compensation markets will not be in line with technical science/business/engineering/computer science programs and in some cases command almost double the starting salary as a new grad so I understand that I went more for my passion than for the money. What I ended up doing though was since a lot of liberal arts careers aren't so dependent on high level degrees, I just did a BS in business and psychology and do the other stuff on the side.

It's all about what really makes you happy in the end.

7. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Careers in alternative energy could be cool. That or something sports related.

8. Chapparal97

That's for a experienced Manager in a corporation. That's not starting wage. Think 36k to start with a small company (maybe). I know many HR people in small business that are generally just the bosses go-fer/secretary but handle HR as part of the job description.

See.....These days, unless you are a coach/trainer you have to be an attorney to be in sports (College and Pros). A liberal arts degree with a teaching credential can get you into High School sports.

For alternative energy, lean towards an engineering degree.

9. Chapparal97

Great attitude! Keep it up, the chips will fall in your favor someday.

10. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

That's pretty much the average for corporate. An HR Generalist (what I do) starts out at about 36k... so naturally the managers make much more than that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar