Help needed from the geeks

Discussion in 'Gear' started by Carpy, Apr 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

Hi all,

I am about to go on an electronics spending spree to fit my new house out with what I need in the US.

Problem is, I want at least some of it to be compatible when I return home to Australia in 2 years.

Any suggestions where I can buy TVs, DVD players, DVD recorders (if needed) etc that will handle 110V and 240V, and broadcast in PAL and NTSC signals?

Also, I presume if I buy a PS3 in the USA I won't be able to use it back in Australia without some form of modification? Is that possible/easy?

Any other advice on what I should buy? I have to sign up for cable/satellite tv and I note that some of those packages include a HDD recording capability. Should I buy a separate HDD?

2. Well, as far as the devices themselves, I'd consider planning on NOT taking them back to Australia with you. It might be easier to just sell them before you go, and that's also that much less stuff you need to ship to the other side of the planet later on.

For the 110V vs 240V, I'd guess you'd probably be stuck dealing with converters if there was something you'd want to take with you. I know a computers' power supply generally can be switched from one voltage to the other, but I doubt the same is true with a PS3 (though I don't really know).

Plus I don't know of an easy way to handle the PAL to NTSC conversion. There probably is one, I just don't know.

Also you also have to consider issues with DVD region codes, which is different between the USA and AUS. I'm not sure if either Bluray or HD-DVD use region codes.

As far as satellite TV, I'd say just sign up for one of their DVRs. I have a DirecTV HD-DVR and it works great now (had some problems originally but they keep updating the software). Since you won't really be able to use the DVR in Australia, there's no reason to buy a Tivo separately.

3. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

maybe you should step down some wiring, I mean the electrical wiring in the house and run a few new outlets. It will work just fine if you either hire an electrician or do it yourself after careful study. In other words, know exactly how to safely step down the power. It would be the cheapest way to go. (I guess) I mean, SK has a good point about the frieght bill. I know Avvie had to pay bucks to get his stuff off the lower 48... so at least consider what it would cost you either way, and if you buy something that you want to keep that is only gonna run 110, just know that you can make your own 110.

As for that signal and region stuff, I can't recommend a particular set that could work either place or whatever. Good luck.

4. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

When I got my laptop in the USA all I needed to do was change the cord that led from power to power pack (that rectangular thing).

However TVs, DVDs, PS3s etc don't have these so really this was a useless post, ignore me.

5. LT21Titans27

LT21Titans27 Tebow Apostle

Go to like Bestbuy for everything

I dont see ne need to change something on a PS3 tho

6. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Different volts (power) are used can blow up the device.

7. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

their voltage on most everything is the kind you would find on a dryer hook-up. you wouldn't plug your ps3 up where you plug up your dryer, would you?;)

8. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

Thanks guys, I have found a couple of websites that sell multi player tvs and stuff. Best Buy and Circuit City both basically said they have absolutely nothing that can help me.

9. Slipjack

Slipjack Guest

Buy the Direct TV package or you'll be watching the Rams and Cheifs. I live in St. Peters Mo. (suburb of St. Louis). I have Direct TV. Stop by on Sundays and watch the game.

10. RyansTitans

RyansTitans Guest

Sooo howd everything go did you get what you needed?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar