Henry impresses in first practice

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by jfrancis04, May 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Good points, Gut. We also don't have to have him pick it all up. If he only contributes occassionally this year, but Lendale shows up, we'll still have a strong running game. As long of one of the two can be consistent, we'll be fine. I hope Henry can get good enough to do more than catch passes and block.

2. is henry a strong blocker?

3. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

Not at this point, no. It's one of his weaknesses....

4. oh... that was one of travis henrys strong points

5. Bobo

Bobo Guest

Nah, the other Henry wasn't a strong blocker either.

6. Nine

Nine Starter

Chris Brown, too.

I hadn't really thought about it, but since the team arrived in Nashville, this will be the first time they haven't had a veteran presence at RB.....nobody the coaches can put into front of the younger players and say, "Watch this guy....this is how it's done."

Eddie George was a great blocker; he passed that on to Chris Brown, who is also very solid in protection. Lendale? Well, we hope he took something from Brown and Travis Henry....and we hope he'll be able to pass it on to Chris Henry.

Fortunately, strong blocking is part of the Titans' RB legacy....I like to think Jeff Fisher and Sherman Smith had a lot to do with that, and that they'll be able to instill that in Lendale and Chris Henry.

But like many of us, I'd feel much better about it if there was some kind of veteran presence back there.

7. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

Arizona having a bad line also doesn't explain someone with his tools not becoming a fulltime starter and as such...becoming a known guy. Did you ever watch Garret Wolfe behind his OL? Free would block his guy and outside of that...Wolfe had to make people miss just to get back to the line half the time.

Point is, I want to see Henry run between the tackles and find holes quickly and burst through them...look for daylight but run over a secondary player if he needs to...especially in fighting for a 1st down or TD. Then we'll know what we've got.

I have no doubt Henry will develop nicely as a pass blocker unless he's afraid of contact (which you rarely see past HS).

Chris Brown was a good pass blocker. Travis was avg. We haven't seen White pass block much. I think we will soon. He should be good at it considering he should have already known most of the offense before he got here and being here a year should leave him no doubt mentally. Physically he's as big or bigger than most blitzing players and White doesn't shy away from contact. As long as he doesn't get confused...he'll be fine.

Of course, we do have the luxury of having VY and his escapeability!

Gut

8. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

we really didn't have that in '96 either
    and speaking of which, Rodney Thomas was drafted in '95 and got considerable time and actually had a pretty good year
    then Eddie comes along a year later and sets him back
    I wonder if the same scenario may play out to where we see Henry emerge as the better back. At least this 2 back system won't spell White's doom

9. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

One of the traits the FO must have seen in Henry to pick him in the 2nd round was that he is teachable. Hopefully he can catch on quickly.
    My guess is he is going to get much better coaching at the NFL level than he had at Arizona and it will just be a matter of time before things begin to click for him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar