Henry or Ganther

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Riverman, Aug 11, 2008.

?

Ganther or Henry for #3 RB

Poll closed Aug 21, 2008.
  1. Ganther

29 vote(s)
    59.2%
  2. Henry

20 vote(s)
    40.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

So just because he is a second rounder-you are willing to give him the nod "to develop" over a guy who is performing better? That sounds like the same philosophy that we used with Ben Troupe v. Blakely.

TJ has a great quote from Finnegan's college coach about potential.

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Troupe vs. Blakely was a good example. But Troupe was a rookie so there was every reason to believe he would improve. Where the Titans went wrong was keeping Shad Meier over him. Meier was entering his fourth season (going from memory) and was a restricted free agent. The guy had shown some flashes but was often hurt. He did know the offense but, for me, that was the guy who should have been released.

Of course, hindsight is 20/20.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

I can't remember to well, what did LenDale do his Rookie year? He wasn't too impressive to me. CHenry did show flashes last year before the suspension. I thought he looked pretty good in the Houston and Oakland games early on. There is no telling what would've happened if he wouldn't have gotten suspended and was able to build off that momentum. I think he is still playing at a frenetic pace, the game hasn't slowed down to him yet and he just hasn't made the adjustment. What he needs is just to be thrown into the fire and used up, lots of action and carries so that he settles down, that's the only way the pace will slow up. I think he can be solid, he just hasn't gotten enough opportunities yet.

For all those guys kissing Ganther's chicken eye, FWIW his long TD run, he ran right into the back of his linemen, and the defenders stop playing and then he bounced outside to finish the run, pretty much a broken play. If he displays some serious shiftyness and inside running, that's another thing, we'll see.

4. ONUV

ONUV Starter

ganther

5. Smart***Titan

Smart***Titan Camp Fodder

Ganther has been on the team for two years right? I mean we did draft the guy... You guys are acting like he's brand new to the team. The coaches have seen plenty of the guy. Henry may very well end up being a huge bust, but if he develops, he has the tools to be a very good player. Ganther is never going to be more than a mediocre back. For a 3rd back, why not keep a guy with upside? And just like Jwill said, Ganther's big run where he had the bulk of his yardage, was a busted play. The defense literally just quit. In a real game that was a play that gets a few yards tops, and probably could have been a negative play. I think everyone has a tendency to get down on a guy after one season, and assumes that he can't play. Give guys a chance to develop... Sometimes they will surprise you.

6. Chapparal97

Chapparal97 Grumpy Old Fart

Why not keep all 4 RB's, since CJ can line up in the slot, and 1 less WR? The #6 or 7 WR is going to ride the pine all season anyway. We can keep fresh legs in the backfield and with our abundance of talent at TE we'll be able to plink away downfield. Ball control.

Just a thought.

7. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

Ganther getting reps ahead of Henry

"WORTH NOTING: At least in a few of the drills on Monday, Quinton Ganther, who rushed for 115 yards and two touchdowns, got reps in the group ahead of Chris Henry. However, it remains to be seen if the order in which the running backs will appear in Friday’s game will be change or how much they will be altered."

http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/news.php?viewStory=62031

8. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

Maybe they can compete against each other in American Gladiators?

9. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

All I know is that we better win that fastest man competition this year.

10. Nine

Nine Starter

I definitely want to see Ganther against an opponent's starters before drawing any significant conclusions.

That said....based on their performances against the Rams, my opinion is:

Ganther = a poor man's Travis Henry
    Chris Henry = a poor man's Marion Barber.

If both players continue to run like they did last week, then there's a very real chance that they could keep 4 RB's.

As we know, the Titans are a very run-oriented team.

Also, in a Mike Heimerdinger offense, it's rare to see more than 4 WR's register a catch during the regular season.

I find it unlikely that they'd go with just 5 WR's on the roster...it just leaves them too thin. However, having a guy like CJ could change that. With strong receiving skills and the ability to line up as a wideout, his presence could allow them to carry one less WR into the season.

It all depends on the next 3 weeks. But after his strong showing last week, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Ganther gets some carries against the starters in the next couple weeks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar