Hey Ewker - about VY....

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Hooky Hornstein, Dec 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

How bout QBs who can win? :brow:

2. Vince10

Vince10 Camp Fodder

His best asset is neither his legs nor his arm. It is his leadership - he makes everyone around him better. Second is his ability to perform in big situations and take the team on his shoulders. Then his legs, then his arm.

We are seeing the effects of the first one. A team that lost 12 games last year with a veteran QB now believes it can beat anyone. We wont see the full effect of #2 until next year, probably in the playoffs, but his ability to bring the team back from big deficits is a strong indicator. Now that Chow is beginning to turn him loose, #3 is starting to be evident. How many third downs did he convert with his legs? The last two weeks have also seen him completing over 60% of his passes and tossing 4 TDs, against playoff contenders. This despite Chow largely eschewing a short, controlled passing game in favor of throwing downfield, which is riskier and less consistent. Not bad for what I would rate as his 4th best attribute.

Feel free to dislike him. It doesnt change anything. Despite how it may seem, I am a pretty critical sports fan in general, especially about my teams. My homerism is largely limited to Vince, but I make no apologies about it because he has been making me look like a freakin' genius since his senior year of HS in 2001. Disagree at your peril.

3. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

I think Vince is so unlike anyone that nobody can decide if this is a fluke or we are seeing the future. As Vince progresses, so will DC's in their schemes to stop him. It will be fun to watch each week.

4. Blazing Arrow

Blazing Arrow The 12th man

See? Your not all evil. :))

From what I have seen he has the "LT" effect. He does not have to be great to shine. Young seems to have this ability to wear teams down with "is he going to run" or "need to watch the pass". He catches allot of middle defenders in limbo where they are not close enough to stop a decent pass (I admit he need work here but he is a rookie) but also do not have the closing position to stop Young from running. His stats are misleading. I would love to see a 4th quarter conversion %. In the last 3 games I would not be surprised to see it in the 80%+ range.

5. Vince10

Vince10 Camp Fodder

TNThunder,

I think that is the very reason behind the curiously large number of haters in comparison to the on-field results. Vince is the next ______. Try to fill in the blank. It is impossible. He is a pretty unique combination of intangibles, size, speed, field/pocket awareness, and ability to see the field to find receivers (every once in a while he wont see a safety, but he doesnt lock in on the primary like so many rookies). Lots of people dont know what to make of him. Early on at Texas, many people felt the same way. However, people get used to him pretty fast.

6. Bustahorn

Bustahorn Camp Fodder

This is not exactly true. Some HAVE decided. Those are the University of Texas fans whose appearance here is so distressing to some of the legacy fans. Consider why we would visit - it is not like we have never seen a football player before. The simple fact is, we never saw ANYONE play like Vince before. As far as DCs scheming to stop him, Pete Carroll had a month to get ready, and we ran one play against USC 70 times or so. Honestly, the level of football discussion on this forum is relatively primitive compared to a number of the Texas boards. It almost seem like some of you are in it for the misery and won't be all that pleased when the Titans turn in to a contender.

BTW - If I had gone to Vanderbilt, it would never cross my mind to wear a school football jersey in public either. :pour:

7. Titanmc

Titanmc Starter

Then it is a shame that the only pride you can take in your school is the football team!

8. PitBull

PitBull Bred to Brawl

Ewker, VY's best asset are not his legs.
    I consider his legs as an added value instead of a reason not to support him. If you were car shopping, would you look for a car with a built in cd player, or simply a car with radio considering they both performed the same and had the same price tag?

Just like any other rookie QB, his throwing ability will continue improve in time. His cmp% will rise, and his int/att will decrease in time. Matt Leinart's cmp% doesn't look so sharp either. Ben Roethlisberger, Rex Grossman, Charlie Frye, Joey Harrington, Matt Hasselbeck (just to name a few) have a higher int/att % than VY. What I like most about VY is the decision he usually makes to scramble whenever he feels that he's going to get sacked. On several occasions he has turned a sack into a first down. How many other QBs do that as well as he does? Other than that, he's a double threat which opens up other opportunites for us deep on the middle the field.

Keep in mind that there is no way our franchise would put so much into a QB who can't get the job done, and not being able to throw the ball is considered 'not getting the job done'. (unless his has the miracilous ability of being able to consistently rush for 300 yards per game). Bud Adams insisted that VY be our QB in the first place, and even sent out his personal jet to deliver him to Nashville.

An athlete like VY doesn't come around very often. I'm just glad he's a part of our team.

:yes:

9. Hooky Hornstein

Hooky Hornstein Camp Fodder

I can appreciate that point of view because I realize that to many NFL fans college stats are irrelevant. But for those of you who might take such things into consideration, I offer the following link for your interest and amusement.

http://www.bcsfootball.org/bcsfb/records-individual

I don’t know if it’s impossible… The way he can take three casual strides forward for a first down on a third and six while all of the defenders around him seem to be moving in slow motion reminds me a whole lot of that guy who used to wear #23 for the Chicago Bulls.

Ha! I gave you that one, Ewker and I’ll grant you that one as well. I’ve been a Texas fan all my life, but I’ve always heard the University of Texas most commonly referred to as Texas. [Hence, our arrogant slogan: “We are Texas”] And knowing that the University of Tennessee is commonly referred to as UT, I usually assume that most references to UT are references to the University of Tennessee.

However, since Horns&Titans opened the subject of college colors at pro games on page one by saying “There will be lots of Burnt Orange at the game in Houston,” I just wanted to clarify what I thought Titanmc was saying.

10. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

:biglaugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar