Hey Hoffa, about Chappy's and Kitchen Nightmares

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Alex1939, Feb 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans Eternal

Titans Eternal Got the swagger of a cripple

6 MINUTES TO GO !!!!!!!!!!!!

and i've never eaten there either. I just like watching Ramsey make ridiculous hand motions while he talks. One time he flipped his hand upside down and covered his mouth and nose with it while he was trying to make a point. lol

2. Titans Eternal

Titans Eternal Got the swagger of a cripple

I don't think I will ever eat at Chappys.

3. A.D.

A.D. It's (insert day of week here) & Colts still SUCK Staff

I wouldn't be surprised if half that stuff wasn't fabricated for TV. I mean, if the kitchen was really that nasty the Health Dept would have closed the place down long ago.

I doubt if I'll ever eat there either - it's a little too pricey for me.

4. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

My past experiences had always been hit or miss on the food. 2 server incidents are what really kept my friends and I away more. Once when they spilled a bunch of drinks and food on one person and did little to comp it. The other was a big night out for a friends birthday, and one guy wanted something on the appetizer menu but wanted to make sure it would be enough for a small meal. The waiter ensured that it would be but it turned out to be one of the smallest appetizers I've ever seen.

I was not overly impressed with the decor changes or the menu changes from what I saw in the Kitchen Nightmares episode. But the walk in fridge was disgusting and and there is way too much on the menu. Better to be great at a few things than ok at a few things. And what the waiters said regarding lying about the type of fish they were serving and Chappys overall attitude was pretty appalling. I mean, blaming that it's Nashvillians problems they don't like the food, c'mon.

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

Those were the two things that stuck out to me the most. I mean sure the freezer was disgusting. But I bet more restaurant freezers than we'd care to know about are in a similar state.

But lying about the type of fish/meat/whatever you are serving is completely inexcusable. And I had to roll my eyes at the "Nashville people don't know/appreciate Cajun food" excuse. I just kept thinking, even if that were true then how big of an idiot does that make you? The city you're in supposedly hates Cajun food yet you insist on making a Cajun restaurant your livelihood? If that were the case then either start a different type of restaurant or move to a city that "gets" Cajun cuisine.

I know a lot of stuff likely gets played up for the cameras. But I've never eaten at Chappy's and can't say that I ever will. Mainly because of the price though. I had no clue that place was charging $26-37 for entrees. I love eating at expensive restaurants, assuming the food is good. But I wouldve been shocked if I walked into Chappy's for the first time and sat down to see those kind of prices on the menu. I've eaten in countless $10-15/person restaurants that were much nicer than Chappy's.

And I think this is the only episode of Kitchen Nightmares I've ever seen where it ended with the voiceover saying the owner basically changed everything back to the way it was. Just made Chappy and his restaurant look even worse.

• High Five High Five x 2
  6. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Well I don't think the menu change was good. Nashville definitely doesn't need another burger and fried chicken place. That's not what Chappy's is all about and it really didn't fit.

I think I already mentioned this earlier. But the part where Chappy and wife were in the car while Ramsay was asking people on the street their Chappy's experience was completely rigged. Completely rigged as in one of the people had never eaten at Chappy's and the producers told him what to say, rigged.

It does really bother me that his freezer/fridge was that gross. It's not like he didn't know Ramsay was coming to the restaurant. Could he not be bothered to watch one episode of Kitchen Nightmares and realize he needed to go Mr Clean on his entire kitchen? When you know what's coming and can't be bothered to do that, it does give the impression of an unhappy chef that is just going through the motions.

7. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

Yeah, that's not too surprising. Also how there just happened to be a pescetarian (WTF?) in the restaurant at the exact time Ramsay was grilling Chappy about frying the fish and the meat in the same pan? Hell of a coincidence.

I wonder too if that could be somewhat staged. I mean, EVERY restaurant featured on KN has a freezer like that or nearly that bad. And as you said, these people have to know that he's going to look in the freezer. Not a single owner has ever thought to clean up the freezer before Ramsay arrives? Seems kind of hard to believe.

The biggest turn off to me was just Chappy's overall attitude toward the city and his customers. Hope he's got a good PR guy because I have a feeling his "it's these dumb Nashvillians' fault" attitude turned a lot of people off, maybe for good.

8. Ewker

Ewker Starter

we had been talking about going to Chappy's for over a yr. We just never got around to it and glad we didn't. After watching last nights show and knowing he went back to the old ways makes me wonder how much longer the place will be open. I know we won't be going there
    I find it hard to believe that folks want it back the old way....sounds more his friends talking that regular customers

9. A.D.

A.D. It's (insert day of week here) & Colts still SUCK Staff

Well, if you like Cajun/Creole and don't want to go to LA/MS for it, there's always Bro's. The wife and I like it pretty well - large portions at a reasonable price. It's mainly a lunch place though, only open for dinner on Friday and Saturday nights. :disappointed:

10. Ewker

Ewker Starter

A.D., we have had dinner there before. The food was good but we weren't that impressed with it either. Having the food come from a steam table made me feel like I was back in school

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar