Hindsight is 20/20, but is Michael Turner worth that 2nd round pick NOW?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Deuce Wayne, Oct 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

DJB, i don't have a theory i have facts at my disposal. Micheal turner has been a fine player for the chargers he just happens to have been drafted on a team who already had a hall of fame runningback. I never said a guy has to be a star right away but they better show some glimpse of talent. Micheal turner only had one game of real playing time as a rookie but he put up 87 yards in that game on 15 carries for a 5.8 ypc. Ordinary backs don't accidentally make 80 yard runs or average 6 yards a carry.

Even when our line was gouging the jags lendale white still couldn't crack 4 yards a carry. The games we are playing now count, we can't afford to wait and see if he decides not to be a fatass his whole career. He is a second year player who is starting for us. If he can't be productive now i see no reason to think he ever will be..

2. DJB

DJB Starter

I understand what you are saying Tide. I agree that there are intangibles that good backs have that you can't learn with time. It's either there or it's not. I also think that RBs can grow, develop, improve..whatever you want to call it. I also think that you can't take a list of great players who had good first seasons and make a blanket statement for all running backs based of that list. Lendale has been the main back for only four games against some decent defenses focusing on stopping the run especially after the way the Titans ran the ball in the opener. I just think it's way to early to think we missed out on Turner. I watched Tim Biakabutuka break off two 60 yard plus TD runs in one game and average 5.2 yards per carry that same season in 138carries and he was very ordinary.

3. galaril

galaril Camp Fodder

Lendale White 25 carries for 66 yards 2.5 avg no tds and one fumble. Enough said.

4. LT21Titans27

LT21Titans27 Tebow Apostle

He scored

As for Turner, hes the only player going 100% in the 4th quarter with 2 minutes left when the Chargers are up 20 playing against a tired defense and hes fresh out of the gate, I want to see this guy go a full game before I ever consider wanting him

5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Wow great theory! turner is just a garbage runner late. Ok..

Ever check the facts to see if it has any truth to it? I did, it took 2 seconds..

2006 stats..RB...micheal turner..

First half ypc 6.5

2nd half YPC 6.3

Rushing average per quarter.

1st ..7.8
    2nd...5.8
    3rd...5.1
    4th...6.9

Apparently the 4th quarter isn't his best.

YPC when the chargers are ahead by 9 points or more...4.2

YPC when the chargers are behind 9 points or more...9.0

So he is not better in the second half, not better when his team is way ahead and the 4th quarter is not his best quarter. Take away his 4th quarter runs last year and he still averaged 5.8 yards a carry..

Theory proven to be BULLCRAP!

What i see in his numbers is a guy who is good all the time. Lendale white last year took advantage of those tired defenses in the 4th quarter . White averaged 3.2 yards per carry. If it is so easy then why did white suck?

6. Titans80

Titans80 Do ya thang!

HOW DO YOU KNOW WHAT SCAIFE IS CAPABLE OF DOING! The consentration of the game has been on running the ball :irked:

7. Bobo

Bobo Guest

Interesting stats Rolltide, very interesting. One would still wish that Turner would have carried more of a load to get a better judgement about the guy.

8. DJB

DJB Starter

I feel the same way about Turner. He's like a young baseball player who starts out hot in limited play. He's hitting .400 but it's only in 20 at bats. Is he really a .400 hitter over a full season? Who knows

9. Bobo

Bobo Guest

It's a legit concern. There've been backs who looked great in limited duty, but never turned out to be much when given more opportunity. Now Turner has some qualities that are obvious, he fast, big, and can break tackles. That makes him exactly the type of back I'd want us to have.

Remember how Filani looked so awesome in "highlight clips"? Where is he now? Not saying that'll happen with Turner, I don't believe it will....but some highlights can make any player look better than they truely are.

That's why when the price started sounding crazy for Turner, I'm glad we didn't pay it. I guess a lot of us fans like the idea of a quick, easy fix....but there are no free lunches.

10. Sledge

Sledge Guest

Dude against Denver he got most of those yards in the 2nd and 3rd quarter...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar