Hiring managers

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Scarecrow, Feb 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

The first thing I do with first screens is casually specify a specific time and a few other details like dress, specific directions etc.
    Its amazing how often these details are flat out ignored by the potential hire. I'd say 80% of people get scratched over some pretty basic almost mindless stuff.

And people, if you're looking for a job - clean up your Facebook/Twitter feed. Pics of you with a shotgun aimed at your neighbor's dog, or pics of yourself drunk in your truck waving a pistol generally don't go over well.

And good god, don't post your own drunken, idiotic rap rhymes fraught with misspellings and racist, homophobic or sexist ramblings. People are just f'n dumb..

2. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

"Send me a photo of yourself naked" is not a tip..

3. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

I got rid of that stuff years ago. About the same time I started searching Facebook and Twitter accounts of people that applied with me lol

4. The Hammer

This one Creeping-Cruds

Do not confuse me with XO :p

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

The only social media I have associated with my actual name is a facebook, which is set to private and the picture isn't obscene.

6. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

Now, every interview I have had with them has been basically the same set of questions.....

'Tell us about yourself'

I know I am not supposed to tell them my hobbies. However, I was under the impression that I am supposed to give a short run down of my career. Tell them I got started at school which lead me into the job at X, then ended up where I am now at Y. Touch on my military background, and short term goals that are related to my career.

Recently, I have heard I am supposed to start where I work currently and what I do, then work back from there. Leave out my goals and things like that. Any advice with this?

'In depth qualifications'

This is going to be hard to describe without confusing everyone. My job is very technical, no one without experience gets to this level. With my job, you enforce two 'limitations'. Governmental, which is the same for every company and then Contractual, which differs from each company. Would you suggest mentioning/talking about any sort of limitations without being led to? I am 100% comfortable getting technical, I think I stand out here, I just don't want to seem like I am too aggressive.

Resume/Letter of Rec

I keep my resume at one page no matter what. I do not include references with it for this reason, so I always bring about 4 on a separate sheet of paper and just paper clip them together. I have about 4 good friends that work there, so I always try to include this. I also have a nice letter of recommendation from a former supervisor that I want to include. Is three pages too much, or should I try to shorten it?

7. The Hammer

For references it is good to have at least one peer and at least one superior.

Have never been one to want to see a one page resume. Might be okay for an entry level position. My resume is 3 pages.

You are on the right track with that first question. They want to know your professional life. Focus on real achievements as much as possible. Mention specific KPIs wherever you can..

8. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

Really?

I could make mine two pages without any fluff, but I have been told that people only want 1 page these days. I am 26 years old, in case that makes a difference.

9. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

Also, I hate this question with a passion.

Tell us about a time you didn't get along with a coworker, how did you handle it?

Outside of the Marines, I have never had someone I could not get along with in the work place. How the hell am I supposed to answer this? I know its hard to imagine, but I am easy to get along with in person.

The best I have just come up with is, not to handle it on my own and to get a superior involved.

10. titans92790

titans92790 Starter

Maybe you are applying for jobs you are not qualified for..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar