Hodge VS. Young

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by jmac1383, Sep 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Once again we have an example of titan fans obsessed with how someone outside the market thinks of us, our team or our players.

A talking head doesn't think vince young is a good player. So what? We had our fun with the guy what do you want to see him dead? Let's all put our money together and hire someone to take him out! In the face of course so his motha can't have an open casket.

Hoge being wrong doesn't bother me nearly as much as reese taking courney roby with the 68th pick. Nice one!

2. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

i could have sworn you were one of roby's biggest fans when we drafted him. maybe you were being sarcastic, but it didn't come off like that....

http://www.gotitans.com/goForum/showthread.php?t=12482&highlight=roby+drafted

3. BudAdams

BudAdams SayHelloToMyLittleFriends

Good to see Hoge..i mean Hodge.. on ESPNEWS instead of regular ESPN. I hope he gets downgraded even further to ESPN Radio only. That way, when the Titans win 10 games they can make a clean break and nobody will really notice hes gone.

To see him on tv still was news to me. I cant wait until he is owned by Jaworski.

4. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Wrong thread gotitans?

Yeah i was high on him so what? Hyperbole and outrageous comments are made all the time just to today someone said that ealy was equal to colston. Yes i liked roby and wanted him to succeed and thought he would succeed. He was practically a 2nd rd pick. So WTF is the problem?

I'm responsible for a bad pick? Show me your post were you bashed the pick.

5. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

i didn't, but i'm not calling out reese for it either, even when you agreed with him.

jeez, i don't why you're getting so worked up about this, i would have thought you'd get used to being wrong by now.

6. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Don't write stupid things. In 05 roby was a draft pick, we could only speculate on how good he might be. In sept 07 we know he wasn't very good based on his 2 seasons and 3 camps of nfl football. You post as if nothing had taken place from then until now.

You didn't post about roby. Maybe you had to play in a t-ball game or something that day.

Let's go through and paste up every single post where someone wrote positively about a draft pick that went bust. They then don't ever have a right to complain about that player?

7. cajuntitan

cajuntitan 26.2ers can do it for hrs

I'm good for $1,000.00!:ha:

8. lowery21

lowery21 Guest

Steakman pretty much openly makes fun of him on the air now.

9. ShoTym

ShoTym Rookie of the Year

First of all calm the F down.

That post did not particularly call Hodge a racist. However, his choice to stick w/ his position does make you wonder about his motives. It's one thing to give an honest appraisal of a player, it's another thing if that "honest" appraisal makes no sense.

Where was Hoge when McNair, McNabb, Culpepper, and Vick were coming out of college??? He wasn't behind an ESPN desk giving his opinions. So no there won't be any video of him bashing them. However, his stubborn stance against Vince only leads us to believe that he would have had the same opinion of at least 3 of those QB's.

10. I can't stand Merril Hoge,i've never see so much hate towards a player and an anlyst that wants to see a player fail so bad.If i ever saw merril hodge out in the street i think i can honestly say i would kick the crap out of him.Here's what one espn writer wrote about Hoge and Young.........

If you're a Titans fan, and you watch any amount of ESPN's football coverage, you've probably made note of the enormous hate-on that Merrill Hoge has for Vince Young.

At the time Young was drafted, Hoge was convinced that Vince Young would be an NFL failure, and that's fine. It's Hoge's job to predict who will be good and who won't, and if he predicted that Young would fail, his worst possible crime would be being wrong, and there's nothing wrong with that. No one alive can predict NFL success with 100% (or even 75%, really) accuracy, so, hey, no big deal if Hoge was wrong about Vince Young.

As time has passed, though, and Young has made play after play in the NFL, Hoge seems hellbent on continuing his Vince Young hatred. It's one thing to say, "Hey, anyone can succeed for a few games, but I'm still not sold on Young as a great future quarterback," but that's not Hoge's style here. Hoge is outright aggressive in his criticism of Young; almost as if he's trying to cause Young to fail with his words. It's somewhat disturbing to watch.

Every analyst is wrong about something, in fact, wrong about a lot of things, on a regular basis ... and because of that, I feel like they generally take too much criticism from the public. But Hoge, this time, has earned it every bit of it. Not because he's wrong, but because he seems so mean-spirited about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar