Hodge VS. Young

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by jmac1383, Sep 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BudAdams

BudAdams SayHelloToMyLittleFriends

can we get a link on that?

2. ico4498

ico4498 Guest

?

i don't think the association that many make between black qb/running qb/nostalgia is necessarily racist. thats your take ... but if you're denying that it exists, i disagree and respectfully suggest "You don't know what you are talking about".

likewise, not everyone that plays into that stereotype will display the history/pattern you're suggesting is necessary. thats my take ...

finally, "honest appraisal"? you've gottah be kidding? it would've stretched the limits of my credulity, but even had i accepted his initial critique as "honest" ... there is no way his continuing negativity has a shred of "honesty".

3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Ico, by honest i meant anyone who truly didn't think vince young was going to be great should be able to say so without being labeled hate speech. Hoge's comments can't prevent vince from being great and doesn't hurt us in the least.

I just want to to look at people as people.

I'm surprised hoge wasn't fired for his attacks on vince because rush limbaugh was removed from his job after simply saying that the media favored black QBs for social and political reasons.

A couple of weeks ago USA today ran a whole page spread on an nfl football coach. Mike timlin, who has yet to win a game that counts for anything. Timlin was described as "smart", "organized" and a great motivator. High praise for a guy who has never been a head coach before and a coordinator for just one year. Would a full page in the USA today be dedicated to timlin if he was white? Of course not and i would be willing to bet there has never been a full page done on his hall of fame predecessor.

If hoge was bashing lienart would it be all over youtube? Nobody would care but bashing vince adds the racial element. As far as nostalgia is concerned hoge was 40 last year so he hardly watched football in the leather helmet era.

Is it color of skin that matters first or content of character?

4. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Look at this carefully...

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pPgcSwWnYrk"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pPgcSwWnYrk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Hoge commenting on who the titans should pick when asked about who the saints should pick suggesting a lack of concentration. But listen to what he said he called our coach a "genius" talking about his(fisher's) ability to "make hybrid defenses based on pressure." WTF? How many of us agree with that? Anyway he called our coach a genius so one reason to not hate him?

In another video hoge makes the comment that the titans and i'm paraphrasing here, "got rid of a guy they already knew could play" to make room for young. So in that clip hoge is defending mcnair somewhat....

5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Interesting what a difference 10 years make..

Mcnair 1997 vs vince young 2006

Mcnair97 passing rating 70
    Young 06 passing rating 67

Mcnair97 Rushing yards 674
    Young 06 Rushing yards 552

Mcnair97 14tds--13ints
    Young 06 12tds--13 ints

Mcnair97 166 passing yards per start
    Young 06 161 passing yards per start

Mcnair97 41 rushing yards per start
    Young 06 40 rushing yards per start

Mcnair97 8 rushing tds
    Young 06 7 rushing tds

Young's numbers last year are no better and in a couple of instances not as good as mcnair in 97. But mcnair had no media hype, no talk about what a great player he was. Even among the fans of this team it was all about eddie and never mcnair until 2002 even though the good things that steve did in 02 he had already been doing since 97.

A little perspective?

6. Big TT

Big TT AKA QUADZILLA-STATE CHAMP-

I think McNair was hyped pretty well coming out of college. The difference was and is you are comparing VY first season with McNair's 3rd. He sat and learned for two season, for the most part except for mop up roles, whereas VY was thrown to the wolves so to speak very early. (should have been from game one, if so we might very well have made the playoffs.)

7. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Big TT..

When mcnair put up those same numbers most oiler-titan fans, analysts, talking head morons et al. saw him as a young QB who was still a long way from being a top 10 type QB. Maybe not even average. Vince puts up those same numbers and you have HOF steve young saying he is among the top 5 QBs in the whole league!

When steve was busting his butt to help us win games from 97-2000 all everyone(fans) talked about was how eddie "carried the team on his back". Eddie a fine player no doubt but still just a 4 yard a pop runner could not have carried the team on his own. Steve was just as responsible for our success but because of the way he helped us succeed nobody gave him enough credit.

Steve finally got the credit in 02 at the age of 29 even though his play that year was no different or prolific than in the past. Intelligent people should be able to look beyond the drama to see reality. A couple of dramatic victories when he was hurt in 02 got steve attention that he finally deserved.

8. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

Steve is probably 1/2 the reason Young is getting the attention now... He gained respect in the league after years of being passed over, having entered the league in a floundering franchise as a running QB. McNair and McNabb have opened people's minds to the possibility that a running QB can be successful as a passer. In comes Vince, who has a long relationship with McNair, has similar attributes as a QB and a leader - and he takes over McNair's old team. Instant attention. Then with all eyes on him, he has an incredible rookie year. And whether he turned the team around or not, the nature of the position is that Vince got all the credit for taking an 0-5 team to the brink of the playoffs... which he did under a microscope straight out of college - which is virtually unheard of.

So everyone sees a rookie QB come in and play at a level that McNair did only after sitting and learning for 2 years. He just far exceeded any expectations people had - and so it's hard not to extrapolate from that and imagine where he'll wind up if he improves as much as or more than McNair did.

9. ico4498

ico4498 Guest

RT,

i don't believe i labeled Hodge's comments as "hate speech". again, his comments aren't "honest" and for that reason his motivations become questionable. whether Titans' fans are "hurt" or not by his comments seem irrelevant imo. the motivations of dishonesty are fair game ...

while i'm unsure that the rest of your comments relate to any of my posts, i'll give in to temptation and say this. "content of character" is an admirable social goal which does not eliminate the need to address/examine existing anomalies.

until utopia is achieved, all the imbalanced aspects of society should be tested.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar