"Hollywood" Matt Leinart???

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by nigel, Feb 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nigel

nigel Back on the bus

So one of the knocks I keep hearing about Matt Leinart is that he's more concerned with fame then football. A quote from this article this article about Reggie Bush got me thinking about this...

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20060224/news_1s24combine.html

"He's so serious and focused that, unlike teammate Matt Leinart, who signed with a Hollywood marketing agency and has made the national rounds in commercials and ad campaigns, he has passed up chances to cash in on his good looks and popular name.

“I've had those same opportunities, but what I really wanted to do was focus on this draft, focus on preparing myself for this combine and really just, like I said, stay focused,” he said. “All the other things, all the photo shoots, all this stuff, will come.”

Now there is no question that Leinart is a good football player, but his detractors certainly have ammunition, like the fact that he signed a marketing agent before he signed a sports agent. And his decision to come back for his senior year, after he had already won the Heisman and two national championships, and would have been a lock for the 1st overall pick, is being interpreted as a lack of desire to play on the highest level.

Do I personally agree with this assesment? I'm not sure. But the one thing to keep in mind is that if New Orleans agrees with this assesment, they might take Vince Young at number 2. He's definately a superior athlete, and he would appeal to the Texas fanbase that the Saints gained playing in San Antonio last year.

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Yet when Manning did it, he became a folk legend in Tennessee.

I see this decision as a kid (he's only a week older than Young) who has his priorities in order.

3. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

If the Titans draft a qb with the #3 pick, which I believe they will, we will get the better player regardless of who it is... Young or Leinart. New Orleans has a jinx that's a whole lot worse than anything Nashville could cook up. Call it stupid, call it hokey, call it just plain dumb... I don't care. We are not getting the short end of the stick on this one.

I'll take either player... We'll be just fine whoever it is. It's not like anything we say or post is going to change what is going to happen draft day anyways.

4. nigel

nigel Back on the bus

Manning came back to try to win a national championship, and was considered a shoe in for the Heisman. Leinart had already done both those things. So you cant really compare them like they were in the exact same position.

Like I said, I'm not sure I personally agree with that opinion. But when you combine it with the other things Leinart has done, it adds fuel to that fire.

5. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

I think the whole story is a bunch a hooey. It's just fodder some columist worked up for lack of anything newsworthy. It's just garbage to line the kitty box with IMO.

6. nigel

nigel Back on the bus

Well, with that attitude, everything we read about draft prospects is a bunch of hooey. All we have to go on about how any of these players will be as pros are other peoples opinions.

7. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

This is probably more accurate than you meant it to be. ;)

Manning came from money. He didn't have the pressure most to to be "shown the money" and come out early. Maybe he did come back to win the big one but he had little left to prove individually.

Leinart is a product of SoCal. He had/has opportunities most don't have being in that region and having the success he's had. I don't blame him a bit for taking advantage of it.

I've worked with the company who reps Manning. Believe me that all the big names get them asap because millions are at stake.

8. Brian

Brian Big Fan

IMO the concerns about Leinart's desire to be a great NFL QB are valid. That said, I'd still prefer him over Young.

9. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Well some people complain Leinart is doing marketing and some people complain Young isn't. That just how people differ in opinion. However if you ask me I'd rather pick the guy who answers fame and not fortune when asked to choose.

10. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

When did we confirm Leinart was a guy. That is still up for speculation until after the combine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar