Home Field *Advantage*

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by nate42104, Aug 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nate42104

nate42104 Camp Fodder

I have really been thinking about this a lot lately. I know the front office is there to put the best team on the field, but at what point do they truly gain a playing advantage by making the fans happy?

I remember when LP Field (The Coliseum) was one of the toughest places for a visiting team to get a win...and that was due in large part by THE FANS.

The way our offense has been the past 3 years or so, it has almost sucked the energy right out of the stadium. And, after going to the opening pre-season game, I feel like opening day vs the Jags, we may get a little of that energy back.

My question is, how far should a front office go in order to keep fans happy? Let's say there is a player out there (Player A), and he provides ABSOLUTELY NO contributions on the field. But, let's say that the fans love him for whatever reason, and while he is on the roster, every fan in the stadium is on their feet while the D is out there contributing that electricity that the players feel and make EVERYONE ELSE play better.

I know this is theoretical, but I'm hoping I made sense, I'm not the best with words. Just curious what others think about how much the FANS actually contribute to a teams record (the ultimate report card) over the course of a season.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

If the team is winning - the stadium will be loud. But they have to start off as well as they did back in 99 and around that time. Our fans like to sit and shush when we start 1-4 and struggle to make playoffs.

3. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

did we have a high flying offense in '99 and '00?

i think a big reason the stadium hasn't been as loud the last three years is there are less people going to the games. i watched every game last year and i can honestly say i don't remember a full house.

4. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Its because people don't yell. It's changed dramatically since 99-2000. Now people look at you like you're ruining their day if you stand up and get loud.
    But in 99 we did have an offense that people got excited about. Eddie was in his prime, and steve ran a bit.

5. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Back in '99 and '00, the fans who went to Titans games had only experienced college football. They brought that approach to the pro game.

Titans fans used to not sit when we were on defense -- especially on third down. If you had a voice when you left, you were a slacker.

I'm hoping things move back towards those early days this season.

To answer your question, I do think teams may look at fan appeal. They probably also look at team chemistry. But ultimately, much of it boils down to how much they have invested in a player, how much upside they have and whether or not they make you a better team.

For example, let's say Ganther and Henry are almost equal in production in camp and the preseason games. The Titans have more invested in Henry. Henry has the potential to improve with experience. Henry is the better special teams player.

Ganther would have to totally overshadow Henry in both camp and the preseason in order to be kept over Henry.

6. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

On the Houston Rockets, Van Gundy bought season tickets for about 100 fans, but told them they had to be noisy all game. It worked. A once quiet crowd sounded like a noisy college crowd instantly. It got a little raucas. You can hear them every night they are on TV and it got the whole crowd going. It makes a big difference. 22 game win streak included. I even enjoyed watching the game more.

I think in football it is much harder than in basketball. I don't know how you do it. But it starts with one section at a time. You've got to create the atmosphere. And when you do, you get more fans. It just feeds on itself. Who wants to go to a boring game. The fans getting excited brings in more money, and more wins. Pay for those Vol fans to come out and you will get your home field advantage. Hell, put them on the sidelines so you don't lose money. It will work.

There is no doubt a home field advantage in my opinion. But the fans have to want it. The whole idea of being quiet on offense is silly to me. Players feed off the noise. You want that cheering.

7. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

I remember the first season at the coliseium I would bring in noise makers, but they don't allow it anymore. That has brought down the noise level...

8. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

It's all about energy. Yeah, you're quiet on offense when the play is about to start, but when a pass is completed, a long run is broken off, or a TD is scored, you get loud! The offense feeds off of the response, but you don't need to be loud all the time on offense.

I think that the stadium definitely had times last season on Defense when it was loud. No one left with a full voice after the San Diego game, even though we lost. We had something like 6 huge defensive drives in the second half and overtime, and man were the fans loud on every one.

9. maximus

maximus Starter

The crowd isn't as loud because the newness has worn off. Our defense hasn't sacked as many QB (we had 50+ in 99).
    We need to get 99 back this year. Make LP Field the worst place to play in the NFL

10. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

I'm more worried about the ambiguity of the NFL conduct policy. I know the intent is to keep the drunks from threatening or harassing other patrons, but how it is written would allow a single complaint from a person to for ejection and possible revocation of PSL's.

I got a letter last year from the stadium stating the rules of behavior. I called to inquire what rule I violated and it wasn't even on the record what rule I had broken. Nonetheless, the letter stated that if it occurred again I could lose my PSL's. Now, I am nervous to stand up and yell, whistle during defensive drives for fear that somebody will fire off another complaint. The current NFL conduct policy only reinforces my fear because it does not offer a policy that protects patrons from erroneous or unwarranted complaints against them. All I can think of was some old bag behind me complaining that I stood up while we were on defense (and that isn't against the rules). The "disruptive behavior" terminology is very open to interpretation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar