"Honor Killings" ?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Puck, Dec 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

2. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

This is a very old, traditional practice that's been going on in the Middle East, more accurately India. Unfortunately, it was a practice that happened almost exclusively in the upper classes, but has spread to some middle class societies within the country.

Like you rhettorically asked Puck, this has less to do with honor and more to do with with $$$. Often times, the family on the husband's side will request a bridesgift on marriage, and will call upon this "request" continuously throughout a marriage. In modern times, it's going stuf like a plasma tv, nice furniture (read: neccissities that the family could probably afford anyway). When a bride or her family refuses to pay the given request, this is when you see a women have a "kitchen accident", or an accidental "fall down the stairs". Sometimes, it's as subtle as the family trapping a women into a room and stabbing or beating her to death.

Honor killings are difficult to prevent as well. Honor killings are illegal, but sometimes carry a light sentence if a minor carries it out. I've read an article where the husband's 16 year old brother was coaxed into killing the wife in exchange for a new video game system and clothes. Secondly, honor killings are often described as accidents or categorized by suicide.

3. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

The main idea? These things aren't going to stop for a while. It would be unfair to say that honor killings are a norm in Middle Eastern society; they simpily aren't, are they're a lot of people against it in the region.

Got this all from my IB Social Anthropolgy class this year.

4. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

:sad2:
    that's just bad manners
    What are you talking about

A father killing his 3 daughters and 1 stepdaughter and threatening to kill his wife and stepdaughter's boyfriend and burning down his house has nothing to do with money. He said he was stopping them from committing adultery.

The little ones were 8, 7, and 4. There's nothing honorable in that

5. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

I thought it was rhetorical. Didn't mean to be disrespectful. I was actually agreeing with you. :suspect:

I was talking about the usual honor killings. There are some cases where "the honor of the family" is involved, like a boyfriend who's not liked by the family or a daughter or wife commits an act of infedility.

Stop getting defensive. I was merely shedding light on what honor killings usually are. :sad2:

6. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

The guy killed his daughter because of her infidelity, and killed her younger sisters so they wouldnt eventually be like her. It had nothing to do with video games or money or TVs. It had to do with living in the dark ages and bringing up the rear of civilization.

7. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

See my above post. I was merely shedding light on more common reasons for honor killings. The thread was just a means to have a discussion on them I thought. Guess not.

8. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

Oh, well I thought this thread was more about this specific case. But I do disagree with on some things. Killing to get something from it like money or what not is not an honor killing, its killing to get paid. A hit man does not partake in what I would consider honor killings.

9. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

That's just what they're categorized as. Not saying its right or wrong. Just the reality.

10. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

I think your referring to something different than this situation though, not saying your wrong, just dont think its the same scenario as this article is talking about. This man killed his daughter because she apparently destroyed his familys honor, so killing her apparently restores the honor or something genius like that. He killed his younger daughters so they wouldnt one day destroy the honor of his family, because the oldest one set a bad precedent. Your talking about killing someone for some type of monetary gain or to take possession of something, this guy killed because he is insane and thinks he restored "honor" back to his family, which is now dead.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar