Hook and Ladder/Lateral play

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Deuce Wayne, Jan 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Why isn't it run more? I swear it'd work 60% of the time.

Especially in the NFL where everyone gives up on a play the moment it looks like the WR has a tackler.

Maybe I should stick to Madden.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. 520

520 2020 GOAT CHAMP from 3-7 to champ

wow a thread resolved within its original post

move along folks nothing to see here

• High Five High Five x 6
  3. Brew City

Brew City Case Race Champion

A major component of coaching is to minimize risk. Having a receiver voluntarily give up possession is one of the riskiest things you can do. Just ask Reggie Bush about that after the Texas v USC National Championship game when he lateraled the ball after a long run and lost possession for his team.

4. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

I've actually wondered why no football team would try rugby tactics more often?

I doubt an NFL team would try, but College I could see it happening.

5. Dman

Dman Pro Bowler

I think teams find the risk of laterals and the hook and ladder too risky. That is the only reason I could see this play not being involved more in offenses. I am all for it tho because at some point you are going to have to take some risks and if it is 3rd and long this play would work perfect for an underneath pass, hook and ladder and get the first down and possibly a whole lot more. Hopefully next year teams will be more creative, especially ours! Lowgains still thinks Hooks and Ladders are for home improvement not football! lol

6. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

it was an NFL staple back in the day

I remember plenty of them from the 70s

7. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

because, if it fails one too many times, your coaching staff will be getting pink slips.

8. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

Definatly late game down by 4 strategy.

9. RTH

RTH Meh...

Honestly, I don't think we see it much these days because of the "closing" speed of the defenders.

"Back in the day" you saw it a lot, relatively... but you would catch a defense off-guard with it and they were usually slower to stop in their tracks, recover and go after the new runner.

These days... the recovery speed of your average defense and reaction time is very fast. Maybe defenses are too spread out to allow for players without the ball to be completely open. And, again, if they were the defense would be on them quickly.

10. Ten_Titans

Ten_Titans Pro Bowler

It wouldn't work as a regular play because there is too much traffic in the middle of the field.

It shouldn't work as a desperation play if the defense keeps their head in the game. If you don't chase the ball it won't get far.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar