Hook and Ladder/Lateral play

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Deuce Wayne, Jan 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Im a huge fan of laterals. Ive always wanted us to run laterals

2. Dman

Dman Pro Bowler

well maybe we can do that since lowgains is gone!

3. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

as long as whats his face keeps the shuffle pass covered with garlic and stabbed with a silver sword then he can tinker with the occasional lateral

4. RockyTop Fox

RockyTop Fox Offensive Coordinator

They always show the hook and ladders/laterals the work... It's a smaller percentage.

You don't see the failed hook and ladders/laterals unless you're watching this week's "C'mon Man", or a segment on why a certain coach got fired.

5. TheSureThing

TheSureThing Straight Cash Homie

I've always thought it could DEFINITELY work and do some serious damage until teams started learning how to defend it.

If an offense practiced it habitually and some coach with major balls created a system with it I think you'd see a high powered offense unlike anything the NFL has ever witnessed.

For example, this season if while Peyton did all the real work and the Broncos coaching staff had been developing a playbook revolving completely around a hook and ladder package and installing bits and pieces week after week but not using it in games, and then busted it out in the Superbowl, it'd be a guaranteed victory IMO.

How could you stop it? Get the right personnel (5-7 speed/agility guys, 5 of your fastest linemen, smart players who make good decisions) coupled with genius ballscreens downfield, wedges forming mid play, and instead of "timing passes" you have "timing laterals" to wes welker 40 yards across the field. If you could get 11 guys on the field who knew the system going against a defense that was running around clueless like a chicken with it's head cut off, that's a guaranteed victory almost.

How long could you sustain it? IDK. I'd assume defenses would figure it out probably after 3-4 games and turnovers would go up to an inefficient level and the offense would die out and go away forever. And even if it were somehow undefendable I'm sure rules changes would be implemented to level the playing field..

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar