Hopefully Chris Johnson isn't T-Mac part 2...

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by GeronimoJackson, Nov 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GeronimoJackson

GeronimoJackson Brainwashed by the Left. Now I am free.

CJ had a genuine good game against Cincy, not a great game, but definitely good, and it was the best he's looked all season. He hit his holes quick, made nice quick cuts, made people miss in the open field, fought for extra yards after contact, and actually looked dangerous after catching the ball.

But he absolutely cannot disappear next week... hopefully he isn't T-Mac part 2. T-Mac, of course Tracy McGrady of the NBA, had his microfracture surgery and everyone refused to believe he was done and was still going to be an elite player but just needed some time to get back in game shape and shake off the rust. He'd go 10 games looking absolutely useless out there, slow as hell, no arc in his jumper, couldn't beat anyone off the dribble... and then he'd randomly have a 25-30 point burst every 10-15 games or so and would show shades of his former self. And when that would happen, fans would get consumed by false hope, thinking he's officially back only to be disappointed again for the next 5 weeks.

I have taken my fair share of shots at CJ, but of course I'm rooting for him, I take shots at him because we've seen what he's capable of when he's at his best, because he's not some practice squad scrub and is actually worth the time, which is why guys like Ringer will get so much praise when he does something decent and guys like CJ will still be looked down upon when he only does something decent... and there's of course 30 million other reasons why that is so ;)

I used to be a big T-Mac fan and he played with a lot of fans' emotions, making it hard to let go for a long time. So CJ needs to have even a better game next week followed by another the week after next so I might just start thinking about becoming a believer again.

/rant

2. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

I don't think this is a valid comparison. Microfracture surgery is a huge deal for an athlete. CJ is completely healthy.

With CJ, I think it's either the money went to his head and he'll never have the same fire inside him (like Haynesworth and various other players) or he is simply in a very long, very bad slump that is the result of him missing camp and losing trust in his blockers and confidence in himself (and it's probably reasonable to think he'll get over it but maybe not until next season).

I'm hoping for the latter.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. damersbrah

damersbrah Special Teams Standout

I think there is a huge difference between an old player who struggled with injury problems for most of his career and an young rb who is going through the first down swing of his career.

4. GeronimoJackson

GeronimoJackson Brainwashed by the Left. Now I am free.

^^ of course, I wasn't comparing them because of the injuries but because...

CJ's had 2 good games where he's showed shades of his former self but 5 games where he's been, not just bad, but absolutely useless. I brought in T-Mac, because he was the same and it messed with fans' emotions.

5. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

If the question is just whether CJ will be inconsistent for the rest of his career, then clearly no one knows at this point. Plenty of NFL players are inconsistent. Cutler and Flacco are two that jump to mind immediately.

6. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I get the comparison, I mean minus the injury thing, but yea C.J. kinda is like T-Mac in that sense where he's good, he's bad, he's good, he's bad.

The thing I like though is that in basketball it's mostly all you, in football it takes all the moving parts coming together for a play to be a success, and finally Amano and others are moving their fat butts so that C.J. can move in space.

That's the major difference aside from health, that in our case, it's not all C.J.. In McGrady's case it was him.

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar