Hopkins was Asked to Play for Vet Minimum

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Mar 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goTitans.com

goTitans.com A living legend. Staff

SUMMARY: In the days leading up to his release, 13-year veteran Brad Hopkins was given an opportunity to remain with the team. The Titans asked him to play for $770,000 - the minimum for a player of his experience. He was scheduled to earn a base salary of $4.25 million in 2006, along with a $1.5 million roster bonus. "I can't be starting left tackle having done it for going into my 14th year for the minimum (salary). That is not an option," Hopkins said. "I think they understood that. You say 'significant pay cut,' but a $5 million pay cut is a bit much, I think. I couldn't weather that storm. I wasn't getting paid fair market value for what I do. Hey, they did what they had to do."

What do you think about this article? Post your comments below.

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Regardless of what you think of Hopkins, this was a slap in the face.

3. nigel

nigel Back on the bus

Amen. This isnt going to help the growing player perception that Reese is ruthless.

4. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

I wouldn't mind being slapped in the face with $770,000 at the end of my career.

5. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

But if you had a chance of making more somewhere else wouldn't you rather do that?

6. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

Depends on where, and how much more.

7. Brian

Brian Big Fan

Would simply cutting him without an offer have been less of a slap in the face?

8. maximus

maximus Starter

Hopkins is worth more than the vet min, TJ is right, it is a slap in the face and could hurt Reese's image and attempts at signing FAs in the future

9. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

To me, yes. It's about perceptions.

Hopkins understands the Titans are at a place where the team has cap issues and they need to rebuild the OL with talent they drafted last year. I don't see why you can't thank him for his play and wish him the best without throwing out an offer with is insulting and they know he'd never accept.

I think the Titans have had some PR blunders lately concerning how they handle some of the veterans on the team.

10. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

I agree. Hopkins was a good player, and put in a lot for this team. I'd put a little blame on him if it was a reasonable offer, but damn, not even 1 million? That's rough...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar