Horror Villain Wars R1: The Thing vs. Hannibal Lecter

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by SawdustMan, Apr 25, 2016.

?

?

Poll closed Apr 26, 2016.
  1. The Thing

75.0%
  2. Hannibal Lecter

25.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

I love Manhunter but still put Lambs above it. Perhaps because I saw it first and at a much younger age. Agree on the casting comment. I still need to finish the TV series.

2. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

As evil as cancer..

3. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Of the three on-film versions of Red Dragon I still like Manhunter the best.
    As Miami Vice as it is.. lol.

4. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

I see where you're coming from but not sure I totally agree. Lecter's "help" was usually coming from a place of self preservation or as a means to better his own situation. Quid pro quo....

I'd also say you don't necessarily have to be 100% pure evil to be a fantastic villain.

5. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

Yeah I'd agree with that.

6. XO

XO Nevada Native

So not evil, a force of nature.

Same as Jaws.

Many horror aliens are indeed evil.

The Thing is not.

I like The Thing so much because it is so disturbing to us but isn't necessarily malicious. Great movie, great effects.

Cruds, who was it at the end? Childs or MacReady?

Childs? Did MacReady know? Is that why he offered him the drink? Was it a giant game of chess? Does it matter because they were both stranded with no hope of rescue and both would be dead within hours? The alien obviously couldn't couldn't survive subzero temps without hibernation so is that why Thing Child's don't attacking MacReady because it has to hang on for hope of rescue so it can try to get off planet some other way???

7. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

Lecter did once murder and eat a man for ****ing up his opera experience. He's pretty damn evil.

8. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

Cruds and I were discussing this not too long ago in another thread. Either way they're both screwed. I think it was Childs though.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  9. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

IMO Childs is The Thing.
    He has no reason to attack McReady because he's no longer a threat and he knows he is going to deep freeze - and just await the rescue party or whoever shows up in another 10,000 years.
    Discussed here before is the fact in this scene Childs has no breath (vapor) while it is literally pouring out of MacReady.
    Is The Thing warm blooded? Does it even breathe?
    An old trick is to have actors chew ice in a cold scene to make them vapor-free. Why would they film just Childs this way if it wasn't Carpenter giving us a baby clue?

10. XO

XO Nevada Native

Exactly, in my mind the Thing crashed here and only wanted to go home. All of the violence was a result of it trying to protect itself and find a way home.

The Thing is essentially a twisted version of ET.

Childs being the Thing would realize the hopelessness of its situation with MacReady so what good does it do to attack or even assimilate him?

Might as well wait it out and not tempt the guy holding a flamethrower.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar