Houston defenders should be ready to react to Wildcat

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by NewsGrabber, Oct 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NewsGrabber

NewsGrabber Guest

Posted by ESPN.com's Paul Kuharsky When the Miami Dolphins unveiled their unconventional Wildcat package, you'd have through Tony Sparano and his staff reinvented the game.
    The Texans have had enough time to examine it and consider its potential spinoffs.
    "Yeah, we get to look at it for a couple of weeks, but it's changing every week," coach Gary Kubiak said. "So, I'm sure we're going to see a part of it that is totally different than what we've been seeing."
    Said defensive end Mario Williams: "...As long as you go out there and you play your assignments and stay focused I think we'll be alright. Hopefully we can stop it. But, it's pretty confusing and it seems like whenever they get in that formation they seem to make plays. As long as we stay focused, I think we'll be fine. Hopefully we can stop it."
    If it creates defensive chaos Sunday at Reliant Stadium, I'll think it an indictment of Houston's defensive coaches and preparations - but more so of the Texans personnel.
    Defensive players may have to actually react to something they didn't see drawn up on a dry erase board or have spelled out in a power point presentation. Imagine that?
    I asked Texans GM Rick Smith for his reflections on Wildcat this week.
    "It's unique, obviously," he said. "Whenever you try something and you have success with it and it's something a little different I think people pay attention to it. They certainly have run that with a large degree of success.
    "As a football guy it's kind of fun to look at and try to figure out what you do to try to stop it. They got our attention with it so we've got to be prepared to stop it on Sunday."

More...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar