How do you justify being a Titans fan?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Mizzo, Dec 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mizzo

Mizzo World champion of America

I've been asking myself this for a while now.

My Titans fan-ship began when they were the Houston Oilers and I was a little kid living in Austin, Texas. I liked them because they were light blue. I doubt my rationale extended much farther than that. Throughout my life, before and after they moved to Tennessee, I learned to like the organization, the players, etc. I liked them when they sucked, and they've definitely done a healthy amount of sucking. I liked them when they were good too, obviously.

As of late, I'm having a really difficult time being a fan of this team. Something clicked I think. I've never had this issue before, even when we go 3-13. Or when we take Chris Henry in the 2nd round, start Nick Harper/Lamont Thompson, etc.. And not even when we get a first round bye with the best record in the NFL and lose to the Ravens. I have a feeling this list could go on for quite a while, so I'll go ahead and cut it off.

I find myself strongly disliking everyone on this organization. Bud Adams, Fisher (And I find it incredibly annoying when I complain to non-Titans fans about him and they respond "But he's a GREAT coach!"), Chuck Cecil (Although giving the refs the finger was great) Vince Young, Bo Scaife, Jovan Haye (when he dances around like a little girl when he makes a tackle for a loss even though we're down by like 14), 12gage, KFC, Rusty Smith (And the announcers saying that his arm is looking 'kind of rusty'.. I mean.. seriously?), Chris hope and his inability to make a tackle, Kenny Britt and his baggage, even CJ and all his selfishness.

I mean, I like a few players/coaches here and there of course, but I suppose I could say that about any team. I do like Finny, but he's been burnt toast a lot this season, Washburn, Griffin, Verner, and I miss Bulluck. There are more, too, but those are the first that come to mind.
    Not that it matters, but I've always been neutral on the Vince Young issue. I'm sure I have some bias because he's the Austin Texas sports hero, but he is not acting like a professional and it's hard to root for him and his immaturity. It's a shame too, because IMO he played very well this season when he wasn't crying or injured.

All of this has kind of added up I believe, and it's really making me question what the hell I'm doing. Is liking the color of a team good enough to root for them for so many years? Is it good enough that they hail from the state that I grew up/live in? I'm guessing there is no such thing as a good reason to be a fan. We do it because it's fun, entertaining, and an escape from reality and the work week/school. I mean, I'm certainly not a fair-weather fan, being that the weather has never been too good, aside from two or 3 years. I go to games when I can (All away games unfortunately in Houston or Dallas). But I'm having trouble pushing through this. I'm in a time of football crisis haha. As ridiculous as it sounds, football is a pretty damn big deal. After all, we're members of a Titans discussion board.

It's frustrating that even when the Titans have a good record, the analysts and experts never put them at the top of the power rankings, and in hindsight, rightfully so. I don't think it's quite like being a fan of the Lions or Raiders, because they expect to lose. I'm finding this to be one of the weirdest things in the world.

I love football and watch every Titans game
    I have no reason to like the Titans but I love them anyway
    I hate and talk crap about almost everyone on the team
    But at the end of the day I still sport Titans gear

This is all ridiculous and i feel haven't really gotten anywhere. I'm still a fan, and I don't think I'll ever find these reasons that I'm looking for. It's too late in my life to start rooting for somebody else, and that would seem like some sort of betrayal. "Bandwagon jumping" or something like that. Which, as we all know, is very frowned upon. It doesn't even really work for me. For example, I like Tom Brady, Bill Belichick, and most of the Patriots team, but I'm not about to go buy a Patriots shirt and start watching all their games. And the same reason I like the Patriots, I hate the Steelers or the Colts. (They're consistently good.)

Thus, being a fan makes no justifiable sense, and the Titans are really pissing me off.

Any thoughts?

• High Five High Five x 2
  2. Sir_Titan

Sir_Titan Day 1 Titan

[​IMG]

3. Mizzo

I was anxiously awaiting the cool story bro. It's a very helpful conversational tool.

4. Some_guy

Some_guy Practice Squad

I root for players, since I believe (as Seinfeld said) that rooting for a team is basically rooting for laundry (and the owner). So as long as a team has a player from my alma mater, I root for them :D

5. amy

amy Starter

I'm usually partial to whichever state I live in. When in PA, it was the Eagles and the Flyers. Now, it's the Titans and Preds. I still root for the other two, but not when/if they play the TN teams. By the way, did you people know that if you read the Memphis and Knoxville papers on Monday, you have to search for any news on the Titans or Preds? It appears that these teams are really not that popular in the other two sections of the state. interesting

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

[​IMG]

7. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

If you don't hang with a team during their lows then you simply don't get the full impact of what it means when they win. The only thing that should ever have to be justified is when a fan abandons their team when they are down - and it better be a damn good explanation.

• High Five High Five x 12
  8. Mizzo

Yeah, I agree with this notion. But I think my questions are still valid, that is, the reason they're "Your team" in the first place. As I said, I've stuck with them and I'm going to continue doing so, but I'm just trying to make sense of the whole 'why' issue..

Maybe it's like your family, even though you may hate everything about them, they're still your family. Then again, you don't choose your family, but you do choose your team.

9. Mizzo

Next time I'll post a coloring book for you.

10. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

You don't really pick your team - the team picks you.. You don't the option of jumping ship.

I've been pretty forthright here that I also follow The Bengals (and have since they wore helmets that had their name on the side) and as bad as things are here right now it's remotely nowhere near the futile task of being a lifelong Bengals fan.
    That said, the bad stuff happening right now with this team won't matter the second they kick off next season..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar