How many starting spots are up for grabs right now

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Austin_Bill, Apr 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alpha-Centuri

Alpha-Centuri Starter

Not when money's involved.

2. adamwinn51

adamwinn51 Starter

This is not really even true in High School or College . . . definetly not in the pros. I think it is an overly idealistic way of seeing things. For example, Vince Young will start at quarterback, no matter what. It doesn't matter who is playing better. We are invested in him for that position. Roos will play left tackle . . . we are committed and invested to him for that position. I could go on and on but most positions are set for most teams.

3. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill Camp Fodder

I think realistically we only have a few spots that are what I would call up for grabs. I think we all know who our starters are and who their backups are. A good friend of mine was signed as a free agent by the Oilers back in 92 and he out played most of the DE on the roster but still got cut in the end because the other DE had big contracts and he was a FA. The coaches and front office loved him but in the end it was all about money. He didn't care he got his shot and got payed 7900 a week for about 3 months, it was a nice way to start his life after college with his wife.

4. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

It should be and IS often this way in college and high school, however still not often enough.
    The only reason it isn't in the NFL is due to money.

5. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

I couldn't agree more. I think that we do need to start planning ahead for the linebacker positions. Thornton and Bulluck aren't going to be young forever. I'm seeing good things from Tulloch (who will hopefully take the starting job from Fowler) but I think we need to consider OLB in the draft. I'm not saying we should go OLB first overall, but in the later rounds, we should give it a shot.

6. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Nope, we did not sign kearse for $3M to be a backup. I know many think of him as a laboy type player but he will be starting you can bank on that..

7. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

Yeah, Kearse is definately the starter. That doesn't mean that we shouldn't get some more depth at DE because we all know the Kearse can't stay healthy. Fisher should pan out, hopefully, which will add to our defensive line's strength. You can also count on Fisher and MR to get some help in the draft or via free agency.

8. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

While that MAY be true, Reinfeldt did say he would be a situational player. So it isn't unfounded to think that Kearse is going to take over Laboy's role. In the last some odd years, Kearse has been banged up more often than Laboy, and when his age is factored in, I'm not sure why anyone would expect him to be an every down player. Kearse has always been soft against the run, so him being a situational pass rusher would probably be the best fit. Every time he's on the field, he can just pin his ears back, and go after the QB. $3 million is backup money now. It may not look like that just yet, but Haynesworth doesn't have his new contract yet, and KVB will also be demanding one soon.

9. wplatham

wplatham U of M Class of 2012

I think our guard position in going to be fine. At one spot, we have a bona fide starter in Jake Scott. At the other spot, there is going to be a heated position battle between Leroy Harris, Daniel Loper, and Eugene Amano. You aren't going to find every starter early in the draft or in free agency. We've done very well with late round lineman and I expect that trend to continue. One of three will step up and be a very solid player for us.

10. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill Camp Fodder

I really think our Oline was incredibly overrated last year. in fact I would probably rate our oline as mediocre at best. We do have some solid guys up front but Mawae is getting old and Roos is playing a bit out of position. If we can pick up a solid prospect we can really solidify it for the future.

The guy I really like in the later rounds is Shannon Tevaga from UCLA, he is a true road grader that will be great on the next level. I still have no idea why he is rated so low, did any of the scouts not pay attention to the job he did on Sedric Ellis the last two years?

As for Kearse as a starter, there is no way his body could stand up to being an every down player any more, he is going to be great opposite KVB on pash rush situations but as an every down guy he will ware out before the 8th game of the season. I want a solid starter that he can tutor and bring along while he gets in for the important downs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar