How many starting spots are up for grabs right now

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Austin_Bill, Apr 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Well here is the listed starters according to Titans Online:

QB- Vince Young
    RB- Lendale White
    FB- Ahmard Hall
    WR1- Justin Gage
    WR2- Roydell Williams
    TE- Alge Crumpler
    LT- Michael Roos
    LG- Leroy Harris
    C- Kevin Mawae
    RG- Jake Scott
    RT- David Stewart

LDE- Jevon Kearse
    LDT- Tony Brown
    RDT- Albert Haynesworth
    RDE- Kyle Vanden Bosch
    LOLB- David Thorton
    MLB- Ryan Fowler
    ROLB- Keith Bulluck
    LCB- Nick Harper
    RCB- Cortland Finnegan
    SS- Chris Hope
    FS- Michael Griffin

For the offense: QB,RB,FB,TE,LT,C,RG,RT are all set for starters next season.
    WR: will be real competition, I don't think Gage will fall to WR3, but maybe depending on the draft.
    LG: IF Brandon Albert were available I wouldn't be disappointed if we drafted him at 24, and I think he would start immediately over Leroy Harris.

For the defense: RDT,RDE,LOLB,ROLB,RCB,SS,FS are all set as starters.
    LDE: If we draft a DE first round, I could see him being the starter with Kearse rotating in for relief and QB blitzes.
    LDT: I could also see an early draft pick being the starter opposite AH, with Tony Brown providing relief to both DT spots.
    MLB: Surely Tulloch will become starter over Fowler this year, but it's not listed that way on the Titans official website.
    LCB: An early draft pick at CB could land us a new starter, and I think that draft pick would replace Harper over Finnegan. Even if that happened, Harper will see a good amount of playing time.

No telling if we draft BPA, or try to fill these needs. But if we were to draft a RB, OLB, OT, or TE, I just don't see the draft pick becoming a starter for the team. They may play, even significantly, but not start. I'd be suprised if any player I listed above as a sure starter, doesn't start the season barring injury.

2. cld12pk2go

cld12pk2go Starter

I am not quite following why you seem to think Roos isn't good at LT.:hmm:

I would put him in at top 10 in his position. He might be top 5 this year if he improves a little more.

3. titansfan4eva24

titansfan4eva24 VY 4 Life

How would Gage fall to #3? He is our best WR

4. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

probably because he has quick feet, good hands and is a better pass protector than run blocker?

:sarcasm:

5. cld12pk2go

cld12pk2go Starter

:ha:

6. Bobo

Bobo Guest

Roos isn't out of position at all. He's a finesse guy, a LT. Stronger, less agile guys are usually RT's....like Stewart. I'd like to see a better run blocker at LT than Roos, but those guys who are still athletic enough to play LT are very rare. Wd don't have Ogden in his prime, but we have a good one.

I actually paid attention just to Shannon Tevaga when I watched UCLA. He is big and strong, but not a very good athlete. Even effective run blocking a lot of times depends on good athleticism.

Back to the original question. The LG spot is probably going to one of the 3 guys on the squad that will fight for it.

I think rb could be up for grabs depending on who we pick. I have the feeling that LW will get the majority of carries for another year though.

The top WR spot will hopefully be up for grabs with someone new brought in, but rookies usually don't start out fast at that position. Maybe we see a young guy worked in more towards the end of the year.

I think LDE is up for grabs as I think Kearse will come in as a situational pass rusher (which can still be a lot of snaps). Maybe they actually "start" him though since he's the beloved vet and all.

Tony Brown could have some competition if they draft a young DT. But this is another spot where I think this year the young player would just get some rotation time.

I'd like to see KR and PR up for grabs even with the newest addition of Carr (can't see him being a top notch returner).

7. Alex1939

If we draft a WR in the first round, and Roydell outperforms Gage in training camp and preseason, then Gage could fall to number3.

8. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

Even if we drafted a BA in the first round, chances are that he won't be a number one immediately. Roydell won't outperform Gage. Gage is definately our #1 WR. Then you have to throw in Mcareins and B. Jones in the mix...

I wonder whats going to happen to all of our WR's? I expect lots of cuts after training camp. Hopefully they can cut some bad players and we can finally have a solid receiving corps. I think Gage, R. Williams, Deshaun Jackson/Limas Sweed/Malcolm Kelly/Devin Thomas/Mario Manningham, J.Mac, and possibly Brandon Jones will work out nicely. Mike Williams, Paul Williams, Chris Davis, and Byron Ealy will all have to battle it out in camp. I expect a lot of players getting cut....should be interesting.

9. Alex1939

I don't see why you all think it's not possible Gage slips to the number3 receiver.

If he has a bad camp and preseason, and Roydell has a great camp and preseason, and we use our first round draft pick on a rookie WR, then it's certainly a possibility.

I mean, I think Gage will be a starter. But to say it's written in stone seems absurd to me. The difference between Gage and Roydell last season was not that much.

10. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

after seeing our WR's last season none of them belongs at number 3.

i think we have forgotten how bad they sucked. pull out some old tapes and remind your self of how bad we need a great WR. we blew to many plays and wins cause of missed routes and dropped passes. we looked like a high school team at times.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar