How safe is Schwenke?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Just Win Baby, Feb 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

2. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

i agree. center is the guy who keeps the line together and keeps them organized. in this aspect schwenke has been a failure. though he could be a decent guard.

3. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

I agree with that. I think Schwenke is a good backup G who can play C in a pinch. He's not starter material IMO. And my only criticism is that our GM selected him to be a starting C. He only played C his senior year- other years he was a G.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. RTH

RTH Meh...

Pretty sure it was Munch and Bruce talking up Schwenke... still partly Webster's, but another pick I'd put on the coach's urging at the time.

5. Riverman

Um- it's the GMs responsibility. He is accountable for acquiring personnel. Coaches are responsible for coaching. Cant have an organization that fosters accountability if we give our top guys a pass on their responsibility.

6. RTH

RTH Meh...

Yes. But a GM will also take his coach's opinion/assessment under account. That's how teams end up with good players... to claim otherwise is unbelievable. It's pretty rare to have a GM get only players he wants AND that team be any good.

All offensive line players aquired during the Munch-era were talked about by the coaches, mostly.

Yes Webster is responsible for getting them... but to claim it was solely him is simply naive.

7. Riverman

It is the GMs sole RESPONSIBILITY to have team staffed with adequate personnel. That is why he is paid.

BLAME is a completely different concept. A person can be responsible for something for which they have committed no errors and thus should receive no blame. That is a large component of being a professional. Blame is for losers. Responsibility creates winners. It is a requisite of accountability.

It doesn't matter if Munchak/Matthews "wanted" Schwenke. It doesn't matter if Schwenke is often injured. Having a center that is adequately performng is Webster's responsibility.

We'll never get any better if we continue to rationalize poor results.

• High Five High Five x 1
  8. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

I certainly see us using a mid rnd pick on a guy who can compete for OG/C spot. If Cameron Erving is on the board at #33 and we have already filled our pass rush needs in FA and 1st rnd of the draft then I could see him as an early option, but really I think we will be looking for explosive players early.

9. RTH

RTH Meh...

I NEVER said Webster doesn't deserve any blame. I merely stated the foolishness in blaming him solely for all offensive linemen aquired when the HC at the time is one of the best OL coaches in the league. Those decisions were definitely influenced by him... to place blame solely on Webster is rediculous.

I say that and some read it as if I'm defending Webster... don't go full retard, people.

10. RTH

RTH Meh...

Having a player perform adequately is totally the coach's job! WTF??

Otherwise, you don't need a coach...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar