How Would You Feel If We Drafted Alexander Number One?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by MrPickSix, Jan 14, 2016.

?
  1. Thrilled

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
  2. P***ed

19 vote(s)
    82.6%
  3. Don't Care Just Want A Playmaker

3 vote(s)
    13.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

It might be time to rethink that. I made a thread about how tackles are considered the "safe" first round selections, even though they bust at a higher rate than QBs. I just looked at the bust rate of CBs in the first round and it's pretty low. Since 2000, 54 CBs have been selected in the first round and I would say 30 were successful picks at CB. A success rate of 55%.

2000: Deltha O'Neal(hit), Rashard Anderson(bust), Ahmed Plummer(hit)

2001: Nate Clements(hit), Will Allen(hit), Willie Middlebrows(miss), Jamar Fletcher(miss)

2002: Quentin Jammer(hit), Phillip Buchannon(miss), Lito Sheppard(hit), Mike Rumph(miss)

2003: Terrence Newman(hit), Marcus Trufant(hit), Andre Woolfolk(miss), Sammy Davis(miss), Nnamdi Asomugha(hit)

2004: DeAngelo Hall(hit), Dunta Robinson(hit), Ahmad Carroll,(miss), Chris Gamble(hit)

*2005: Pacman Jones(miss/hit), Carlos Rogers(miss), Fabian Washington(miss), Marlin Jackson(injury bust)

2006: Tye Hill(miss), Jason Allen(miss), Antonio Cromartie(hit), Jonathon Joseph(hit), Kelly Jennings(miss)

2007: Darrelle Revis(hit), Leon Hall(hit), Aaron Ross(miss),

2008: Leodis McKelvin(hit), DRC(hit), Aqib Taleb(hit), Mike Jenkins(miss), Antoine Cason(miss)

*2009: Vontae Davis(hit)

2010: Joe Haden(hit), Kareem Jackson(hit), Devin McCourty(hit)**, Kyle Wilson(miss), Patrick Robinson(hit)

2011: Patrick Peterson(hit), Prince Amukamara(hit), Jimmy Smith(miss/hit)

2012: Morris Claiborne(miss), Stephone Gilmore(hit), Dre Kirkpatrick(hit)

2013: Dee Milliner(miss), DJ Hayden(miss), Desmond Trufant(hit), Xavier Rhodes(hit)

*In 2005 and 2009 both Antrel Rolle and Malcolm Jenkins were both drafted as CBs but successfully moved to safety. They are not included in the totals, but I thought it was noteworthy to mention them.

**Even though McCourty was eventually moved to FS he started out at CB and was good enough to start there. His flexibility allowed the Pats to get their best DB combination on the field by switching to FS, so I considered him a hit at CB.

Paceman Jones and Jimmy Smith are 0.5 values because I don't really know how to classify them. Obviously Jones busted in Tennessee but he's had a successful career overall. Jimmy Smith has been so up and down year-to-year that I can't call him a hit or miss yet.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  2. Hormesis

Hormesis Pro Bowler

Classic Titan let down. SMH

3. Roscoes Wetsuit

Roscoes Wetsuit Pro Bowler

Mackenzie Alexander is cold af.

Wouldn't do it first overall though.

But if we traded back and got great value and a bunch of additional picks and we took him with our first pick cause Ramsey and VHIII were already taken, I'd be thrilled.

4. Hormesis

Hormesis Pro Bowler

We should just take Ramsey at 1. Would love to trade with Dallas and take Ramsey, but it isn't happening. Give me a playmaker please!

• High Five High Five x 3
  5. TitanUpB4UGO

TitanUpB4UGO Starter

It's not a dumb rule if the league doesn't value that position as highly as it does OT's or QB's. It is what it is...just like RB's rarely go in the 1st Rd anymore. And when they do, they have to be pretty special.

• Boring Boring x 1
    • Bullsh*t Bullsh*t x 1
  6. TitanUpB4UGO

TitanUpB4UGO Starter

That ain't happening. For one, Perrish Cox and McCourty is a pretty good duo...we just don't have quality depth behind them, and that has hurt us badly this year. Not saying I don't want us to acquire another good corner. I would definitely try to find one in the draft (Rd 3 or later) and spend a little money to get a good one in FA, too.

I'm not an Ohio St. fan or anything, but Bosa is too dominant of a player to pass on. He's going to be JJ Watt 2.0 and with us having to face Luck twice a year, we need an elite pass rush. Right now, even when Morgan and Orakpo are healthy, we have just a better than average pass rush.

Wouldn't mind if we decided to go with OT Tunsil at No.1, but I'd rather spend some coin on a proven veteran in FA, right now...cause as Delaney Walker has stated recently, we are just too young on OL and don't need to get younger.

• High Five High Five x 1
    • Boring Boring x 1
    • Bullsh*t Bullsh*t x 1
  7. 615nick

615nick Starter

Cox and mcc are not at all a good duo. Do you watch these bums? They both are low tier #2 corners. No where near elite or shutdown. Almost every single #1 wr that plays against us wins the battle against mcc and cox. Even the #2 wr best up cox and mcc. Mcc is the most overrated player on thus roster, no question.

• LOL LOL x 1
  8. rekirts

rekirts Starter

They were banged up this year. Cox will be a good #2.

Our secondary problems are overrated imo. When every CB we have is pushed up 2 spots due to injuries of course you look a lot worse. Webb and Riggs showed a bit of potential. We need another guy who can step in when injuries come up but I don't think its as bad as people have made it out to be. They are starting to get older though. A 2nd or 3rd round pick would be fine.

The worst problem in the secondary is Griffin...

@Fry I haven't made the argument that T or EDGE is safer picks... I'm saying a good player at their position influences the game a lot more. In a sense i'm saying we go for the home run, opposite of safer.

Out of all of those players theres maybe one i would consider a good pick at #1 overall-- Revis. Holding Ramsey to that expectation is just not reasonable. Every other player I would rather have the best pass rusher or T from the draft class-- Ezekiel Ansah in 2013, Von Miller 2011, Suh or Trent Williams in 2010 over Haden or McCourty...

The recent trend of tackles busting though has been strange.

• High Five High Five x 2
  9. Ontario Titan

Ontario Titan Pro Bowler

The biggest concern about the #1 pick is drafting a bust..Ramsey is a great player at position we need playmakers at, chances are he won't bust.
    Ramsey at 1

• High Five High Five x 1
  10. Razorbacks

Razorbacks #WooPIgSooie

Look, the Titans will draft either Joey Bosa, Laremy Tunsil, or Jalen Ramsey..

This organization will draft one of the top overall prospects.. someone with a big name and a lot of buzz. They will sell more jerseys and put more butts in the seats until mid-late season when the buzz wears off.

The fact that we actually need an OT, CB, etc is an afterthought. Thats how this organization is run.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar