How Would You Of Drafted?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by xpmar9x, Apr 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

Well now that the draft is over we now know who was available at our picks. If you were selecting for the Titans, who would you take?

Our real draft was:
    1st - Derrick Morgan, DE, GaTech
    3rd - Damian Williams, WR, USC
    3rd - Rennie Curran, LB, UGA
    4th - Alterraun Verner, CB, UCLA
    5th - Robert Johnson, S, Utah
    6th - Rusty Smith, QB, FAU
    6th - Myron Rolle, S, Fla St
    7th - Marc Mariani, WR, Montana
    7th - David Howard, DT, Brown

Heres how I wish the Titans draft went:
    1st - Derrick Morgan, DE, GaTech
    3rd - Damian Williams, WR, USC
    3rd - Rennie Curran, LB, UGA
    4th - Akwasi Owusu-Ansah, CB, Indiana (PA)
    5th - Hall Davis, DE, LL
    6th - Johnathan Dwyer, RB, GaTech
    6th - Myron Rolle, S, FlaSt
    7th - Marc Mariani, WR, Montana
    7th - Jevan Snead, QB, Ole Miss
    Free agent pick-ups: LeRoy Vann, Stafon Johnson, and Kevin Matthews.

How would you of drafted with the picks we had.

2. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Ow my grammar hurts.

• High Five High Five x 2
  3. TitansBlue

TitansBlue Camp Fodder

I'm fine with what they did in the draft. Only thing I would change is signing UDFA Brandon James before the Colts did.....or spending the 7th on it, either way

4. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

I would have drafted Jonathan Dwyer over Rusty Smith, Perrish Cox over Verner, whoever the best available OL was over Marc Mariani, and LeGarrette Blount over David Howard.

Everything else I thought was fine.

5. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Why take Davis with the 5th? He'd end up on the ps as he's not gonna beat out Morgan, Hayes, Ford, Babin and no way we carry 5 DE's. Meanwhile, we have other needs we could addres with value.

Why take Dwyer in the 6th? To replace Lendale? Again, he's not gonna become the 2nd string RB and at best will be used on shortyardage plays...IF we keep 3 rb's active. He could sit on the roster and just be a special teamer....

Why take Snead? The guy tries to avoid competition and thinks he's vastly better than he is. Could he develop into something? Yes. Are there plenty other QB prospects out there with the same chance? Yes. Take a QB prospect as an udfa...not waste a 7th rnd pick IMO.

Gut

6. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I'm fairly happy with how our draft turned out. My biggest concerns coming into the draft were; to improve the D-line, improve the seconday, and find another WR to boost the offense. We did just that. Derrick Morgan took care of my first concern, Damian Williams addressed the WR issue, and Alterraun Verner, Robert Johnson, & Myron Rolle took care of the rest. We may have found our PR/KR also. Overall I was pleased with what we did. The only two things I'd have not done was 1.) draft a scrub QB, and 2.) not added to the DT pool. We have enough DT's, but how could the Titans not draft a DT... I also wish we could have figured something out with Haynesworth, but enough of that, we're moving forwards once again.

7. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

If I had to keep the Titans picks...
    1st - Derrick Morgan, DE
    3rd - Rennie Curran, OLB
    3rd - Jacoby Ford, WR/KR/PR
    4th - Akwasi Owusu-Ansah, CB/S/KR/PR
    5th - Matt Tennant, OC/OG
    6th - Lindsey Whitten, DE
    6th - Dekoda Watson, OLB, ST
    7th - Syd-quan Thompson, CB
    7th - Kurt Coleman, SS/ST

Morgan could start right away, Curran could too (both providing needed leadership),Ford gives us a dominant speed weapon to compliment CJ as well as an explosive PR/KR, Ansah gives us a big CB or FS we can develop, Tennant gives great quality and improves depth at interior OL, Whitten gives us anothe Ford-type rush DE to develop, Watson gives us a speed LB who's very good in coverage and good at ST's, Thompson adds to the CB depth and could compete for the nickel or dime cb spots, and Coleman is another team leader/tempo setter and special teams ace (say goodbye Nickey).

Gut

8. sCarecrow

sCarecrow Guest

Maybe I am naive but I would like to see the Titans pick Dez Bryant.
    He would be a risky pick but I have a feeling that he will be an outstanding Receiver with a bright career.
    Britt and Bryant could have develop into a feared combo.

Next I wished the Titans would do anything to get Big Al back.
    With AH in the middle, our DEs would look a lot of better than they did last year!

With the 97th (comp.) pick I would have pick Everson Griffin.
    He is an underachiever but a physical freak like Washburn like em.

9. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

Before the draft I didn't really want any part of Dez. But I gotta admit, in that moment when we were on the clock I was kinda hoping we'd get him. I knew Morgan and Wilson were the sensible picks but I really think Bryant will be great if he keeps his head on straight. And I realize that's a pretty big if. In hindsight, I'm glad we made the Morgan pick though. As tempting as Bryant is, I don't think this franchise can afford another potential first round flop. I'm glad we went the "safe" route this time.

10. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Why the heck would you draft a guy we ended up picking up as an UDFA?

The only pick I might have changed was Morgan. Noticed I said might. I liked Hughes as a pure pass rusher better. The Colts got a steal.

Another possibility would have been taking Dez in the first but then we would have to grab a DE probably in the 3rd. Maybe take Griffen there. On paper anyway it would look like great value getting Griffen at that time considering he was on many mocks as a first or early 2nd value. Then fans would be going nuts with delight. I'm honestly not sure the Titans wouldn't have done that if they could have know Griffen would last that long. However if Griffen doesn't fall (no way to think he would) the pickings at DE get a little slim.

Quite honestly I'm not sure I'd change any of the other picks.
    Curran was a great pick; a real productive guy with instincts and athletic ability and he can play all three LB spots. Looks like he will fit nicely at WOLB at some point and start.

They obviously liked the CB they got over some other guys they could have taken. I have to assume they thought he was a better fit than the popular AOA.

I thought Johnson was probably the best S in the 5th. The only other guys available, Asante and Jones worthy of the pick are really SS and Rolle is about as good as them. Of course we took Rolle.

People love to bash the Rusty Smith pick but this might be a great pick. They had their pick of a group of QBs with guys like Pike, LeFevour, Snead, Levi Brown and they got the guy they thought could play at this level and so far in camp Smith looks the part. The Titans beat some teams to the punch and got the guy they wanted. I have no problem with that.

I don't have a problem with the DT in the 7th either. Strong and quick off the line and seems to fit the mold of what we want at DT in our scheme. Could be a nice surprise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar