Hurry Up and Wait on a Fisher Contract

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Jun 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Ah, but as far as LBs go, Bulluck had nice stats last season. The Defense as a whole was last, and it's the Defensive coordinator's job to not be last in the league, IMO.

2. Alex1939

To me, he isn't adjusting to the talent available. It seems to me the biggest problem is the Titans ends aren't what they were. In 02' and 03' we had Kearse, Carter putting pressure on the QB, helping our pass Defense. Since then, we really haven't had 2 good ends, which has really hurt the typical 4-3 or nickle we run.

I agree, he hasn't had the talent available, so he should adjust to try to make the defense work somehow, rather than sit back and say, "well this would work, but you guys just suck."

When our D goes aggressive, we normally do pretty good. We just normally play to conservative, and we don't have the solid 4 up front to be the only rushers for an entire defensive series.

Good points about how high scoring our O was back in 02 and 03 forcing teams to throw on us.
    The Reese vs. Reinfeldt debate will be ongoing for years, it has a long time left to play out. And it's not like I think Reese was just awful or anything, he did lots of good things along the way. However, I do think he damaged the reputation of the franchise with the treating of players like Godfrey and the entire McNair debacle. And it isn't necessary to go through entire roster purges the way we did. That stuff was just bad business, imo.

3. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

I didn't say it was the same, but I feel it was close. And I think we probably don't use the same definition for talent. When I watched the Titans the last couple of years I saw a defence with a lot of talent, who played very bad. The question begging to be asked, why did they play so bad? Why do our players not play up to their potential? If it was just one or two players, then the blame would be theirs, but when it's half or more of the defence, who is to blame then?

4. Young54

Young54 Starter

TitanJeff...

BRAVO!! :thumb:

5. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Scheme can't overcome holes in talent. Offenses will play to the weakness.

It'll be interesting to see how history tells of the Reese years. The guy was beyond criticism for a long time around here. He could do no wrong.

I wouldn't put the McNair thing on him though. He was in LA with Fisher when that went down.

6. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

As you well know by now, talent = production for me. 40 times, etc. are nice but if a player misses an assignment, whiffs on a tackle, plays without intensity or consistency for 60 minutes, he isn't very talented, IMO. I call unused talent "potential".

So we do probably have a different opinion of what talent is. I see a lot of potential on the field but few players, I feel, who are consistent and productive.

Should we blame a coach for players not playing to their potential 100% of the time? I'll bite on that. But I put more of that on the position coaches because it is more an execution or desire issue than a scheme issue.

Scheme gives the team the best odds to execute and be successful. IMO, I don't see that as being the issue most of the time. I see individual matchups being lost. I see players making poor reads or biting on fakes. I don't see how we blame Schwartz for that.

7. Young54

Young54 Starter

i think if Fisher leaves, it's gonna be on his terms. he probably feels like he is worth more than what Bud is offering

8. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

I'm not sure if it was mentioned, but Fisher was fishing on ESPN this mourning in the pouring rain.

9. Alex1939

I disagree. Titans definately have some major holes in the D, but clearly what Schwartz has been doing, hasn't been working for a few years. Time to try things different with the talent available, rather than run the same thing that hasn't worked for 3 seasons now.

I'm not saying there was any scheme that any DC could run that would have put the Titans in the top 10 of D's in any of the last 3 years. But I don't think we should be among the worst in the league either.

Good debating with you on this point.

I put the Mcnair thing totally on Reese. Maybe it wasn't his call to lock him out and that particular incident wasn't his doing... but, he had months in that particular offseason, and years as a GM, to ensure that incident never had a chance of occuring.

To Reese's credit, he never hid the fact the team was going to have to purge and that it had been coming.

I could also sit here and critize many of Reese's latter year draft choices. At least he hit a home run with his last first round pick as Titans GM.

We'll see how it all plays out in the long run. I do give Reese a lot of credit for the teams success after moving into Nashville. IMO, in recent years, his job performance had really slipped, I guess I wasn't the only one who thought so, since he was replaced as Titans GM. :))

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar