I almost had a change of heart regarding the offseason

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by edward nigma, Jan 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. edward nigma

edward nigma Starter

Let me start off by saying, I am a firm believer in building through the draft. I feel that you should only dip into FA for depth, or to pickup that one remaining piece that you have not been able to address on your team. With that being said I was all on the Andy Levitre bandwagon. At the same time I wanted the Titans to select Chance Warmack with the 10th pick in the upcoming draft. I thought about the immediate dilemma that this would create. Both of these players are Left guards. So in this instance (based on seniority) the rookie would be moved to Right guard. I hate this idea because now this young player is adjusting to a new position (hand placement, etc. ...) instead of just getting comfortable with their new surrounding (learning playbook, teammates, settling in, etc. ...).

Which leads me to my point of discussion:

Option A (not my favorite choice but I could live with it)
    If we are going to make a push for Andy Levitre then in the upcoming draft I think we need to trade back to acquire an extra pick(s). If we go this route, we could select the safety, interior defense lineman or cornerback of our choice. In the second round we fully finish addressing the offensive line by selecting Larry Warford. I don't know if any of you guys got the chance to watch him during Senior Bowl practice or got a chance to watch the game but he was spectacular. (Senior bowl practice notes: Larry Warford is a beast. He had a dominant week at the Senior Bowl, rarely getting beat in the one-on-ones in practice. He also had a massive block to open up a big running lane for Mike Gillislee during the game. He solidified his second-round status). What makes this work perfectly is that Larry Warford is a Right guard. So once he enters camp, he would only have to adjust to his surroundings instead of trying to learn a new position.

So with the second (2nd round) pick we can select a d-lineman if we selected a safety in the first round or vice versa.

Option B (my favorite)
    Now I see two ways of doing this, but this is the route I would take. I select Chance Warmack with the 10th pick. If a trade partner makes themselves known I can trade back no more than 4 slots I would take the trade and I still believe he would be available. I don't think he will make it past St. Louis. He steps in as the starter at Left guard. In the second round, I still select Larry Warford. He steps in at Right guard, now we have our interior in place for the next 4-10 years. If I traded back I would be able to select Brandon Williams with the second (2nd round) pick. (Senior bowl practice notes: Brandon Williams was one of the top defensive linemen at the Senior Bowl. Like Robert Alford, Williams showed off his ability and dominated BCS competition. The consensus is that Williams has entered second-round territory; players with massive bodies (6-2, 340) who can move as well as Williams are a rare commodity.)

Now in free agency we can focus on the safety position. This is where it gets interesting because I would make a run at Jairus Byrd (Notes: Jairus Byrd is one of the top safeties in football. He shuts everything down in coverage - he was responsible for no touchdowns all year - and he constantly comes up with turnovers. He's also decent in run support and is seldom penalized. He deserves a massive contact). I am fully aware that Byrd will possibly be franchised but if we feel he is worth it then we should make a push. The other player I would strongly push for would be LaRon Landry. He is going to the Pro Bowl this season and it seems as if he is fully recovered for the achilles injury previously suffered. He would slide in the SS position for us and be electric against the run and intimidating when WR go across the middle.

I feel this option make us younger and stronger on the lines which will help on both sides of the ball. With G. Williams back in the fold we will be aggressive so their isn't an immediate need to pickup a dominant DE. If one is available by all means he would be welcomed. But I fully expect our linebackers to lead us in sacks moving forward.

Alright, dinner is served - Dig in.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

The fundamental problem with your Plan B is that Free Agency happens before the draft. We can't sit back and wait. There is no doubt we will be a player in Free agency.

• High Five High Five x 3
  3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Warfard helped his status in the senior bowl both in practice and at the game. He is the clear #2 interior lineman prospect behind Warmack and worth a top 20 pick. A prospect comparable to Lupati and Decastro when they came out. He will not be there with the 39th pick.

Barrett Jones may have fallen off some and fallen a notch or 2 among interior linemen.

I still think the best bet at 39 will be Fluker. In that scenario sign Levitre to play the left guard and Fluker at RG with the long term possibility of moving out to RT in a couple of years.

Some LT helped themselves at the senior bowl which might push Fluker down to 39.

4. Just Win Baby

Just Win Baby Starter

It will be very interesting to see how interior OL go in the draft. I'm not sold on Warford going in the 1st, although he could. The knocks on him are his lack of position versatility, and his speed. He will not WOW anyone at the Combine.

There is no doubt Warmack will go in the mid-1st round. Jonathon Cooper (UNC) is being compared to David Decastro of last year, and will most likely go Rd. 1. Fluker and B. Jones both have the potential to be 1st rounders as well.

In the 2nd, Warford could still be there when we select. Dallas Thomas from UT (OT converted to OG) will be there as well. Regardless we will have serveral GOOD options to choose from in the 2nd if we dont go Warmack at #10.

I like the trade back option of getting more picks (only assuming no stud DT/DE pick worthy of #10 is available, and assuming we are not willing to draft a OG that high). I still think if everything falls into place, we trade back with the Rams, giving them our #10 pick for their #22, #46, & #110, which is fair value from the draft chart. They move up to #10 and get Lane Jonhson, OT from Oklahoma before the Chargers get him at #11. There will be 2 OT taken before the 10th pick, and there are only three left tackles currently worth a 1st. We still get to pick a good player in the 1st, and now have 2 2nd rounders, 2 3rd rounders, and most likely 2 4th round picks with the Finnegan comp.

5. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

The other interior OL that I really really like is Travis Frederick from Wisconsin. Wisconsin has a great tradition for churning out OL. Frederick is coming out as a junior. Last year he started at OG while Konz was playing center and this year he was the starting center. So he has solid experience playing both positions. He is a big man as well weighing in around 330Lbs. Saw a video where his teammates were calling him the brainiac of the OL because his degree is in electrical engineering. I wouldn't mind having a big smart guy anchoring our OL.

It won't surprise me if Warmack, Cooper, and Warfard all go in the first.

I will be shocked if Warmack, Cooper, Warfard, Jones, Fluker, and Frederick are off the board by pick #39. I think any of those guys you can plug in from day #1 as a starter.

6. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

Good news is you can always get guards in FA. Centers a bit harder to get and Tackles even harder. But there are always guards available. At least early in FA.

7. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

You've totally forgotten about Johnathon Cooper, who is without a doubt the second best guard in the draft.

8. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

I'm all in on Levitre in FA. DT or S in the 1st (trade back if Stars gone) and Warford, Barrett, or Cooper in the 2nd.

I'd also love taking a run at DRC in FA.

• High Five High Five x 1
  9. Clark

Clark #ShoutboxAlley4Life

This is what's up. Levitre on in on FA.

Pray for a falling Star or take Vacarro if he's not there.

Top OL in the top of the second. Could easily be warford or cooper.

10. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

Cooper goes to the Colts in the first unless one of the tackles falls or one rises significantly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar