I am disappointed with the OL

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by HoustonTitan, Oct 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

Bruce Matthews sucks... Like I've been saying for a while. I hope Munchak has the balls to fire him if this garbage continues.

2. Dman

Dman Pro Bowler

They way Munch has been acting this season, I think he does have the balls to get rid of mathews. I was unsure of Munch coming in to the season but he has done a good job for this team.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. smili

smili Starter

fwiw, I'm a Munchak fan, and I know this is shallow, but I do think Munchak's sideline demeanor hurts him as much as anything in the eyes of fans. I don't know if rubs off on players or not. His expressions are just "different" than other coaches. His expression is not fire-y (like maybe Gruden/Jim Harbaugh), it's not resolute/stoic (like maybe Bellicheck/Fisher). Instead he has grimaces and looks of uncertainty about him. I'm sure other coaches wonder the same thing about what plays to run next / how to approach a situation, but Munchak wears those expressions on his sleeve - and it doesn't serve him well I don't think, regardless of how well the team has come together so far this year.

I do think we're going to have a clock management issue probably bite us/cost us at some time during the year. Clock management just before the half in the Jets game almost cost us (Hunter TD bailed us out), and it might've hurt us in the Texans game giving them the ball back w/ so much time. I hope the staff takes some time and works on those special "low clock" situations that Fisher seemed to handle so well.

4. acqua7

acqua7 Pro Bowler

can't be any worse than last year!

5. Dman

Dman Pro Bowler

I agree with a lot of that and I didn't like the fact that Munch shows hardly any emotion but I have seen a change in him this year in regard to showing emotion. I think he has built a solid team and will be here for a little while if not longer. You are absolutely correct about the clock management situation and I am so thankful to have hunter do what he did the past two weeks. Good thing we came out with wins in the last two games and hopefully he has learned more from it.

6. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

I'm not seeing that money we spent on Levitre paying off yet. He hasn't looked impressive at all. Very average.

7. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Statistically according to football outsiders we run very well off right tackle and right end. Not well at all off left tackle and left end and not well right up the middle.I believe our run problems are mainly due to Turner and Levitre.

I like how Levitre gets a pass here. Gets all that money but next to Turner he is our weakest run blocker. Good in pass blocking but weak in run blocking so far. And Roos has never been a dominant run blocker so we need more from that right guard.

We also need more from Stevens. That's all he does.

I also think that CJ is not getting the most out of his blocking and always seems to start so slow.

8. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

We had three new guys start in the middle, this kind of thing is normal and should have been expected.

9. HeadOnASwivel

HeadOnASwivel Pro Bowler

I am disappointed too:

Roos - Still solid
    Levitre - As advertised, playing well
    Turner - Crap
    Warmack - Highly overrated, but still a rookie
    Stewart - Clearly lost a step and is in full decline mode

10. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

Our tackles have actually been very good. Roos is arguably playing the best he's ever played. He's currently allowed just 4 QB Hurries in 4 games, no sacks, and no hits... that's on 277 offensive snaps. Last year he had allowed 8 hurries, 1 sacks, and 2 QB hits at this point. Through ProFootballFocus, he's ranked the 3rd best OT. Stewart has held his own, not great, but not awful. He does look like he's lost a step, that may be rust or age -- not sure yet. FYI, PFF still ranks him 34th of all OTs, but he use to be in that Top-20 range.

The problem lies with our interior offensive line. Warmack has been a big disappointment this far in pass protection. He's allowed 2 sacks and 10 hurries already, but has been a good run blocker. He's still very young and adjusting to the NFL, but he must improve his pass protection, especially for being the #10 pick. Levitre is the same way, allowing 9 pressures & a sack already also. His pass blocking, which he's known for, has been subpar.. but he's been actually very good in run blocking. Levitre ranks 32nd & Warmack 47th for all guards on PFF. For a $46mil FA pickup and a 10th overall pick, you'd hope for more.

Here's the even bigger problem... Robert Turner is ranked the WORST starting center in the NFL by PFF. Fun fact, Velasco who we released (likely due to salary) is 17th. He's been awful across the board and we need to bench him 4 games ago.

Bottom line: Tackles are good, guards are below expectations, center is awful. Run blocking has been good enough and interior run blocking has been awful.

• High Five High Five x 4
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar