I Am Legend

Discussion in 'Movies/TV' started by Big TT, Dec 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

I think Smith is wrong about everybody being good. This should probably be discussed in a new thread, but I don't have the energy right now, I'm off to sleep SWEET SLEEP soon.
    But there are some people who do things just to be evil, not trying to do good through twisted logic like Smith said. The Hillside Strangler and John Gacy killed people out of pure evil...

2. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

I'm with Hoffa on this one.The Nazi concentration camps didn't stem from good intentions.

I'm pretty sure it's been proven that some people have something wrong with the frontal lobe of the brain & have no moral compass like the rest of us.

Some psychopaths are highly intelligent & have nothing wrong upstairs,they are simply evil people.

3. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

I'm not disagreeing with Hoffa, but I can also see the mind set that people think people do things and think what they are doing is right/good for the earth/ etc.

4. PitBull

PitBull Bred to Brawl

Who cares about the Nazis or whether he was an apologist...

I just watched the movie and the only thing that doesn't add up is that if Robert actually set the trap then why would he set it outdoors? It suggests that the infected might have made it from scratch, but there's nothing in the movie that suggests whether they're smart enough.... you know, besides the fact that their solution to everything is head butting it.

5. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Head butts aside they didn’t divulge much at all about the creatures..
    - How do they explain the trap? They seemed far too mindless in most scenes yet there’s the trap – and of course the one who “releases” the dogs..
    - and why did they wait till the next night to come to Neville’s house?
    - How could they open their mouths so wide?
    - Why were all the male creatures shirtless but not the females?

Of course the true answer is “Yeah but didn’t you see the awesome explosions?”..

This movie would been so much scarier if they had real people portraying the creatures ala 28 Days Later or The Descent…

6. That just goes to show Smith's point. Just because you think something is wrong doesn't mean someone else might not consider it good.

Lots of dictators feel that it's a good thing to impose order on their citizens. Japan probably thought America was pretty evil for nuking Hiroshima and Nagasaki. I imagine Hitler decided that it would be good to get rid of the Jews (for whatever his twisted reasoning was).

Good and evil are often more subjective than we would like.

7. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

Good point. Hitler did believe he was chosen to do the things he did for a higher cause. He was obsessed with the book of Revelation & it's mention of a thousand years of peace for chosen people who survived the 'last days'.

His 'master race' were in his scheme the chosen people.

8. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Just to add to that a lot of people think they are doing 'God's work' and He is acting through said person. Now these people are 99% mentally ill but in their mind set they are doing what is 'right' by God.

Same with 9/11 and the terrorist attacks.

9. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

I just finished reading the book.

The film only borrows the basic premise of the story that Neville is a lone human survivor living amongst a new order of vampires.

It seems like most Hollywood productions of good stories are handicapped by the profit margin. OK we'd like to make this movie,who's the best fit as a lead to maximize our audience? Will Smith,great everyone identifies with him as a heroic lead & he did great box office in another sci-fi movie.

Alright we have to keep it under a PG13 so we don't limit our box office revenue.

The whole process of how they water stories down because of budgets & revenues is frustrating but understandable given how much money they invest in these movies. What I don't understand is how they can take a dark tale with a great study into this lone mans psyche & butcher it so badly to produce a 15 rated movie.

If they were prepared to make a movie with that rating why not stick to the book.It would have had a much more satisfying ending rather than the cop out that they gave us & probably gained a good word of mouth following because it had dared to be different.

I'm so glad that I saw the movie before I read the book. Will Smith was good in an understated performance but as usual the movie could have been so much better if they'd stuck to the original storyline.

As CC points out above there are so many holes & weaknesses in the story told in the movie.

10. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

I agree 100% with that.
    But there are also a few people like the Hillside Stranglers. If you've ever seen or read about them, they knew what they were doing was evil and bad, and that's why they did it (kidnap, rape, torture, mutilate and kill). They wanted to inflict terror, pain, and death upon innocent victims for the soul purpose of doing evil. They were satanists and hated good. That's where I disagree with Smith that everone is good, or thinks they're doing good. There are a few who are evil and know they're doing evil and not good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar