I credit our early success to MR

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by titansfan769, Sep 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. titansfan769

titansfan769 Starter

Cmon i know sometimes you wanna reach through the TV/ Computer screen and smack him around till he looks like a baboons rear, but look at our defense. Damn. Over the past few years, we have all expected WR to be drafted and when we see FS, RB two years in a row when we expect to see WR we all go crazy. But after watching three games this season i like what i see. Michal Griffin has developed next to Chris Hope as being an all around very talented safety. Who would have though once we lost Pacman that we would have anything vacantly close to a decent secondary. But on paper we have a top 5 secondary. Cortland Finnegan steps in as a replacement and is now leading the NFL with a wopping 4 INTS in 3 weeks. Some guys dont get 4 in a season.

I also credit him with pulling Chris Johnson out of his wazzoooo. When i was watching the draft and Chris Johnsons face came up i said....huh. A talented back out of a quite school called East Carolina, very far away on any draft board, and boom we got him. Im thinkin at the time, Lendale white rnd 2 2006, chris henry rnd 2 2007, and now we take yet another rb. But little did i know the guy runs a league best 4.24 and has the mentality to gain 3 yards more then he did on the previous carry.

I will not say that MR has brought in the best free agents that could have helped the team, and i do still think that with a good WR we would be in everyones mind a Superbowl legit shot. But with all this said MR deserves alot of credit for a defense which is generally young, and extremely talented. Should see more then just 3 pro bowlers this year boys. Good job MR.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

As you said, with a GOOD WR we WILL be a legit shot. Mcareins and Gage are good but they aren't what we need. We need a legit playmaker who can stretch the field. We brought in CJ, which helps, but we need that safety blanket receiever.

3. A Fightin'Titan

A Fightin'Titan Starter

I as much as anyone would love a big time receiver. But if it costs us elsewhere then I say no. To get a big name we would need to shell out big money andin this offense it wouldn't be of value costing us elsewhere. Maybe draft a go to guy but we know the chance of that with us.

Porter,Berrian,Stallworth and Walker have COMBINED for 8 catches this far with Berrian getting 6 of those. Maybe one of those guys cost us Roos or Stewart? Or maybe Al?

AND yeah for the flack he was getting MR deserves his credit.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

Porter=injured
    Stallworth=injured

I don't blame MR for not getting a WR last offseason because there simply wasn't one worth the money. This offseason, there will be. One day, he's going to have to evaluate our weakest position. We can't depend on Chris Davis and Paul Williams. We can barely count on McCareins. Kearse has been good, but Odom was the better and YOUNGER player. I understand why we let him go, but LaBoy too? Alge Crumpler hasn't even been a factor in our offense besides blocking. What about that wasted 3rd round pick Stephens? Isn't he supposed to be good at blocking? Crumpler is not being utilized properly. There are a TON of kinks to work out. Not to mention that the acquisition of Chris Carr was one of the dumbest things i've ever seen. The guy couldn't break away if his life depended on it. When all of our players are getting older (Bulluck, Thornton, Hope, Harper), who will replace them? So far i've only seen good things from Jason Jones. Tulloch is solid. Oh and lets not forget about our BRILLIANT draft pick...CHRIS HENRY! MR NAILED that one. MR plays damage control well, but he'll never make us better.

5. aloving77

aloving77 Camp Fodder

I still can't forgive the Chris Henry pick.

6. T Atlas

T Atlas Guest

McCarein's suck. I'll agree with you there, but Odom and LaBoy were both not worth the money they signed for. Alge Crumpler was a low risk-high reward signing, a pro bowler for 2 million. Give him a few more weeks, he'll put up some TD's numbers.

Stephens is a rookie who is a great blocker and only learning the playbook. With the four TE's we have, that's okay. Let him learn the playbook and develop and we'll bring him in third down situations and such. Most rookie WR's don't play very much, if at all, in their rookie year in the NFL. You have got to be able to make crisp cuts in the NFL, and that is what Stephens is learning how to do. Patience.

We have a relatively young team, when it comes time to replace veterans the defense should be led by new faces anyways. When that bridge comes, we'll think about it. But until then, lets focus on winning now. We have a superbowl able team, so lets continue to excel with what we have now.

MR has been a very smart, even if conservative, GM. He doesn't overpay, which isn't a bad thing.

Chris Henry was one "bad" pick. I won't argue that hes good, but it was one bad second round pick. I could go through every GM in the league and name bad picks. Chris Henry had a high reward if he excelled with his combine numbers. He just lacked the vision.

7. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Still too early to judge Reinfeldt, IMO. He's had some early success but I think how the Haynesworth deal ends up will be a true test.

The Chris Henry pick remains as stupid as it was the day it happened. But Reinfeldt was on the job for a short time so it's hard to know how much influence he had on that draft or if he was Fisher's guy. That means I don't give him a lot of credit for Griffin either.

After year three, I think we'll have enough evidence to give MR a solid evaluation.

8. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Mixed bag, and as TJ says, a little early to call it. He's certainly had some good and some bad.

9. titansfan769

titansfan769 Starter

very good point jeff, if he lets haynesworth walk he might get someone to buy an hit on him. but yea stephens is still young, chris henry could have been good, but he didnt work hard enough so thats one mistake. But its too early to judge crumpler, dont forget he is a little old and he is still learning the playbook. By week 5 or 6 he should start becoming a factor i mean a quarterback change is never easy on a team and besides we run the ball a minimum of 30 times a game anyway. Point is every gm makes mistakes, but our team is progressively getting better every year which shows me that he is doing a good job in drafting cause we havent signed a big free agent since bulluck. Next year will be big cause the F/A market should be solid for WR's and the draft will be even more solid. With a young defense, if we can lock up haynesworth and bring in a few good WR's we will be the legit AFC Superbowl favorite.

10. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Sounds like any other GM in the league.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar