I got da gametime database blues

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TitanJeff, Sep 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

When people complain because they are locked out, I'll tell them it was your idea. :brow:

2. TitanJeff

Just to revisit this since the server really struggled today...

The strain on the server is extremely high when 200+ members are pounding the same thread as is what happens during (and just after) the games. Despite blocking guest viewing during this time, the issue remains though wasn't as bad as what we saw for the Pittsburgh game.

From discussions with my host, going to a duel CPU server would help as would maxing out the ram BUT IT WOULD NOT SOLVE THE ISSUE. Reason being, this forum software is not designed to have 200 people posting to and refreshing the same thread at the same time.

In looking for a solution, I was told that using the chat room would be a much better solution as it is designed for such traffic and is much less demanding on the server. So, if you have an issue with server errors on game day, I suggest everyone use the chat room instead.

Next Sunday, I will likely try to find a way to shut down the forum during the game and have everyone direct to the chat room.

3. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Hmm. I wouldn't think it'd be the software having trouble handling the amount of people. vBulletin is what some of the most popular forums on the internet use, and they never seem to struggle or go down.

We're just going to have to start making people pass Wonderlic tests to register.

4. TitanJeff

Well, part of it has to do with the bells and whistles such as having sigs, larger avatars, high five and all the stuff I think makes the forum fun. If that were all turned off, it would run much better.

As far as I know, no vB sites have one thread pounded like the game thread is. Going chat is the way to go. Ajax is much less server intensive.

5. TitansJonne

TitansJonne OG triple OG

Hey Jeff, what if there was just a dedicated game day chat box on somewhere on the page that refreshes automatically. Maybe the guest restriction can fix a lot.Rather than everyone hopping into one thread? And are there any problems with High Fives? I haven't been able to do it.

6. Blazing Arrow

Blazing Arrow The 12th man

Can you cut of streaming, flash, sigs and avatars in a few hour period before and after the game? Could that help?

7. TitanJeff

I'm going to try and find out how much impact that might have. I still think routing everyone to the chat room is the best option.

8. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

Is the chat room different than the chat window on the front page?
    I'm all for using chat to discuss the game.

And I've seen forums disable av's and sig's due to a high influx before.

9. TitansJonne

TitansJonne OG triple OG

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar