I think I may have figured Vince out...

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by jmac1383, Nov 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmac1383

jmac1383 Guest

So here's the problem with Vince. If Vince came in as a rookie and play like he has this year, I don't think we would hear all the stuff on here as we have. It wouldn't have been great, but we would probably have an "lets give him a few years to see how he's improving" attitude. But the thing is Vince seems to be doing worse from last year and I believe it's throwing a lot of fans off. Even with big games like VS the Giants we didn't play that well most of the game. We just had a big come back. But you take a few player like Travis Henry, Pacman, and Bennett out and it looks even worse. But the biggest reason I think in Vince from last year to this is the fact that we have been winning so much. Last year when we were 0-5 who cares if Vince risks some things, try for the big play, go all out. I think the problem with Vince now is he's so scared of messing up a winning team, he's holding back and trying not to mess up. Instead of "letting it fly" in what could be a big play, the fear of it get picked is causing him to hold back and be perfect. And with a possible Superbowl run this year, Vince is trying so hard and is under a lot of pressure. Now if you're 0-5 you're having fun because you don't care. You're not determined the look perfect in front of everybody, you're just having fun playing a game. So I believe he just needs to relax, clear his head and just have fun and play the game.

2. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

Interesting perspective. I have often thought his issues this season have been confidence issues. I know some people are down on Vince right now, but I think most will give him the time he needs. One thing I know about Vince is that if he goes on to have a dismal season (and he is so far), he'll work extra hard in the offseason. His hard work hasn't paid dividends yet, but it will eventually.

3. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

...im not 2 sure on what you said. personally, i think he is 2 scared to be a 'vick' he is not running at all this yr like he was last yr. he is FORCING a lot of throws he really shoulnt...even on short passes he is making a lot of bad decisions...throwin in double and sometimes even tripple coverage....with his abilty that should never be the decision....with his speed and acceleration he can easily escape to the perimeter on almost any play and just throw the ball away....he just doesnt do it...he really doesnt like throwin the ball away...he's tryin so hard to make plays that just shoulnt be and that has lead to his incredible horrible TD to int ratio....like that pass on the goaline gainst the jags...y would he try a pass like that...if anything he needs to stop givin the ball away....in a run first/tough D team..the most important thing is possession and he needs to realize that.

4. BigRed3

BigRed3 Straight Cash, Homey

Personally, I think that the reason Vince was so successful last year was because he just went out there and played off of his instincts, and it worked. This year, now that teams have sort of figured Vince out, he's had to "do his homework" so to speak and he's struggling with it. Look, he ran a very basic spread offense at Texas, where a dominant amount of his passes were from the shotgun. Now he's having to digest an entirely new offense, and he's struggling with it. It's an arduous task, and it's going to take some time, but I think eventually Vince will figure everything out.

5. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

I actually agree that winning has been a big part of it. We've been in the lead or near it most of the year. No reason to even throw when you are winning and your policy is to run clock. Vince usually moves the ball when he has to. He likes the pressure. We've haven't been down a lot this year, and when we have been, he's actually put up some numbers.

6. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

First of all we need to completely rule out this nonsense that VY would not be feeling as much heat had he played like this last year. That is totally ridiculous. If VY had not shown some ability last year to make great plays (has he made ONE so far this year) or to bring the team back from defeat late in a game (obviously he hasn't done that yet either) none of us would even know if he was capable of doing it and the talk would be even stronger that he could be a huge bust. It is because of what he did last year that we have some light at the end of the tunnel. Goodness, if he threw and ran all last year like he has so far this year even the VY homers would be scratching their heads and wondering why we didn't take Cutler and ALL the negatives stated about Young prior to the draft would be right on target.

I do agree VY needs to go out and have fun, play with his instincts and and the coaches should put him into situations to succeed. Spread the offense, go from the gun and let VY be VY. Make him as comfortable as he can be.

7. Nine

Nine Starter

Most of what we've seen this year has been a power running offense with Vince lining up under center....an area where he has struggled since day 1.

I don't remember the exact numbers, but I remember seeing statistics for VY last year when he lined up in shotgun, as opposed to lining up under center....and the difference was night and day. Vince was and is MUCH more effective from the shotgun. Halfway through last year, Chow finally adapted, and started running most plays from the shotgun....and Vince exploded.

This year, they've clearly tried to make him more comfortable under center, which is fine. This needs to happen....eventually. But at this point, his skills are better suited to playing from shotgun, where he's far more comfortable and effective.

Giving him more reps under center is fine, and it needs to happen....but it's not something that can be forced.

During VY's hot streak last year, they ran probably 80% of their plays from shotgun, and lined him up under center maybe 20% of the time. WIth those numbers in mind, a realistic goal for this year might have been to put him under center maybe 30-40% of the time.... twice as much as he did last year.

But by putting him under center 70-80% of the time, they've taken him out of his comfort zone, and put him in a position to struggle. At this early stage of his career, that's not who he is.

Let him go back to doing what he does best. They did this midway through the 3rd quarter against the Jags; from that point in the game, Vince went 14-23 for 174 yards, 1 TD, and 1 INT. (It would have been 2TD 0 INT if not for a ticky-tack holding call on Stewart).

The Titans are entering the home stretch, here. No more experimenting. It's time to let the players do what they do best, and put them in a position to succeed......Vince moreso than anyone.

8. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

I doubt Fisher will let Vince be Vince in a spread offense, it goes against everything he believes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar