I think the Titans may trade Scaife

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by GLinks, Feb 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Yes. I do. On or before draft day. Been thinking of this for a while now, and look, I'm not crazy about paying Scaife $4.46M and it's not even my money. I feel he deserves a long-term deal, but I'm not sure if it's here or elsewhere. I hope the Titans are working out a long-term deal with him either way, just to reduce the cap hit, but also because it also gets the heavy lifting done in the event a trade does work out. Four years, maybe a little better than Gage's contract, I dunno. Whatever, the cap hit needs to come down ASAP.

Next, here's the fun part. I think Scaife is very tradeable. Even if the Titans miss that boat this year, this would be something they could address the following year, provided nothing bad happened to Bo. Offhand, I would value him as a second round pick.

Here's a hypothetical: say Detroit was an interested trade partner. Let's say we offered Scaife and a swap of picks, #30 for #20. That by either draft trade value chart places Scaife as a mid third round pick. Not enough? Say they as well swapped third round picks. That would equate to adding a 4th round pick to the mix. I think Scaife could garner a bit more than that. The deal is this: we have him now, but we could have just as easily let him hit FA and had nothing to show for it. I wouldn't mind letting him go for an extra pick, a second, or a high third, outright.

We have to get a #1 WR and though Scaife had a good year, I feel his production is overall replaceable, just as Roydell and Gage's have been.

So maybe a Brandon Pettigrew could fall, or if Alphonso Smith was going high, we could get him, or Jeremy Maclin, or Vontae Davis, Aaron Maybin, Brian Orakpo. Not saying I want these players more than some others, but you get the idea.

As far as Scaife goes, I wouldn't care to go in with Crumpler, Stevens and rookie, like Jared Cook who ran a 4.5 40, 41" vert and is 6'5" 246. Or a Shawn Nelson, Cornelius Ingram or James Casey. Not that I'm this naive or would think the Titans would overlook the defense this long, but if the Titans were to manage drafting Darius Hayward-Bey and Jared Cook, they would have the fastest RB, WR and TE in the NFL. Getting even one of those guys could be very significant for us, but we'll see. That's why getting another 1st, 2nd, 3rd round pick could be very useful. Not to mention, we'll have tough decisions coming as soon as next year, and it's be nice to have more superior talent to groom and a better price over the next four to five years.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. reo

reo Starter

I agree. I've been saying this for a while too but I'd look at trading him to KC for TonyG, maybe Scaife and LW to KC for Tony and a pick? It'd give them Tony's replacement and a replacement for LJ if they lose him. And it'd get us TonyG then maybe use a pick on a TE like Shawn Nelson and sign a back like Bulkhalter or Fred Taylor or draft a kid like Rashaad Jennings.

3. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

It's quite possible...but in NO WAY would they sign him to a deal and THEN trade him. Whatever his signing bonus is would completely hit our cap when we trade him. If he's to be traded, most likely he WON'T be signed and then we can sign whomever we get. We get the franchise tag amount back ($4+mil) when he's traded.

I doubt we could get a 2nd rnd for him. 3rd is definitely a possibility. REO has an even more intriguing possibility in giving up both Scaife and White for Tony G and a pick...maybe a 3rd or 4th at best.

On the other hand, Tony G says he MAYBE wants to play 2 more seasons so that would be a win now trade. If we COULD have tendered AH, and he if he wants 16mil/yr, we could have then traded him and Scaife for almost anything we want. Oh well...

I could still see us being aggressive and trading Scaife and a 2nd rndr to the Cards for Boldin or something along those lines.

Gut

4. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

I don't know why you guys want to trade Scaife. He had the 7th most receptions in the league for a TE last season. He had the 14th most in 2007. He continually gets better. He has chemistry with either QB that is our likely starter next year.

I'd rather have Scaife for 10 more years than Tony G for 2.

Regardless, I seriously doubt we trade him.

5. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

I like that idea, I'm just not sure we're lucky the second time around, either. Hope we are. Aside from Tony, I'd like to get Chad, and was hoping we could use the pick as fodder in that endeavor. With, but especially without, Gonzalez, I'd draft a TE, but maybe Jared Cook, who ran the 40 in 4.5 and had the 41" vertical. 6'5" and 246 to boot. But I like Nelson as well, and James Casey.

I like the LW trade, but, I don't undervalue him like some do. I'm okay with getting value for him while we can, but I can see LenDale re-signing to play with Chris Johnson. If there's one thing I believe you can say about LenDale regardless of how you feel about him as a player is he is not a malcontent. He seems perfectly happy right where he's at. Maybe the FO has already made up their mind, or will at least try to gauge his value, but you know, I would want as close to a guarantee as I could have that his prodcuction could be replaced. Twenty-five TDs between those two backs is nothing to sneeze at. Also, if the Chiefs (Polian) balked at the idea of losing Gonzalez but were interested in the trade, what could we get? I think both guys could bring a third each, but what does that add up to? A second and a late pick? I dunno.

Anyway, all that's to say I think Scaife's production is more easily replaced. Five hundred fifty-eight yards and two TDs versus 750+ and 15 TDs. That's what people forget. In two years, LenDale has almost double the yards and like seven times the number of touchdowns. WTF? So, I say, great, if we can get good value for him, let's do it, but I think that's a solid third given his production, and yeah, maybe a fourth, but if that's all it is, I'm far less intrigued. (I like the idea of a second like we gave up for him, myself. Get out what we put in.) Fifteen touchdowns for a fourth rounder? No. Like, I'd take a second and a third for LenDale and Bo, and yeah, if we basically popped out of that deal with KC's third and Gonzalez, I might do it. Say what you want, but Gonzo himself said two years, so I wouldn't be in that big a hurry to release our youth, much as I like Gonzalez and hope we get him.

6. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Hadn't considered the SB, but then, under what circumstances do teams execute "sign and trades?" I guess what I should have said is he agrees to terms with his new team just before we trade him. I suppose the team could put the bonus as a roster paid at a certain date, by which time the team would have traded him and not have to pay the bonus. But...I...guess...that's why you don't sign first. Should it be a "trade then sign," like it should be "sign THEN drive?"

7. I don't think they'll trade him unless they add another starting TE. I think franchising him was mainly a matter of having the cap space to do it and not wanting him to just walk away for a better contract. The Eagles did the same last year with LJ Smith just to keep him around for another year.

8. psychotictitan

psychotictitan Its About That Time...

Hes not going anywhere,Fisher already reiterated that they want to lock up Scaife and that hes a vital part of this offense. I dont see Fisher going back on his word,if theres anyone we should trade its Crumpler....

9. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Randall Godfrey.

10. PitBull

PitBull Bred to Brawl

I doubt we let him go..
    Besides.. why would you want him to go.

I'll rep you for bringing up Gonzalez.. but to trade him away is a bad move especially when considering TG only has 2yrs left in him max.

I say keep him, trade away Alge along with whatever round pick they want and get us gonzalez. Both TEs will do well together.. and Bo will learn from the best.

Alge only has a max of 2 yrs left in him also, plus next season is a contract year for him and if he returns for 1yr he'll be asking for more than what TG is currently signed for... and thats if he agrees for 1yr.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar