I think the Titans may trade Scaife

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by GLinks, Feb 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reo

reo Starter

b/c he's more of an undersized H-back type TE than a purely blocking TE?

2. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Wow...

How much in resources do you want to commit to the TE position? Why do we need 3 starting caliber TE's when they're almost never on the field together short of maybe goal line situations?

I don't think Scaife will be traded for Tony G because you don't trade a lpayer who can be a good pass catcher for the next 6-8 years for someone who may only play ONE more season. And for that, you'd have to give up your TE AND a high pick? No thanks.

I like TonyG, but he won't be worth it. The upgrade in production is not worth the cost of aquiring it and replacing it when it's gone.

Once Scaife signs his tender, it's all salary with no SB. So if he's traded, all that goes off our cap. His new team would then rip up his contract and sign him to a new one - long term. If we sign him and it has a SB, he's not gonna be traded...period.

Only way I see him getting traded is by packaging with a high pick for a WR like Boldin or something along those lines. He's probably not worth a 2nd rnd pick to anyone, but he's a nice player many teams could use. Even this trade for a WR like Boldin is a bit unlikely considering the real possibility we could aquire a Marvin Harrison, Tory Holt, TJ Housh for only the price of their contracts!

I expect Scaife will be signed long term which gives the Titans the luxury of either bringing Crump back after next season cheaply or letting him walk with Stevens taking his spot.

Gut

• High Five High Five x 2
  3. psychotictitan

psychotictitan Its About That Time...

Frank Wycheck was an excellent blocking TE and you know what,he is the same size as BO. Why do some people have this fascination that we have to have a massive TE to be a good blocker? Scaife is 6-3 250,thats right around the average size for a TE around the NFL. Tony Gonzales is 6-5 250,do you really think those 2 inches really make him a better blocker? Hes been in the league 12 seasons so he has alot of expirence and has learned to become a solid blocking TE. Give the kid time to develope,hes done nothing but improve every year since hes been with the Titans and his blocking will only continue to get better.

4. reo

reo Starter

TE and a high pick for TonyG? He was supposedly going for only a 2nd last year. At most it'd take Scaife and a low pick unless you're counting that I'd like to draft a guy like Nelson to replace him as the high pick. But that's more b/c I want to up grade on Scaife. I think Scaife is an average TE. Having a guy like Tony while waiting for a kid like Nelson to develop would be great for me.

But again, I don't necessarily think it'll happen... I'd just like it to happen.

And no Scaife isn't a blocking TE, neither was Wycheck. That isn't saying he can't block, just not as well as Crumpler (thought that was a given) but this team generally has a blocking TE and a receiving TE (see Hartsock). Crumpler was primarily the blocking TE and Scaife was the receiving TE. You're not going to see Scaife and TonyG out there at the same time b/c when 2 TEs are out there its generally going to be a run and you want your best blocker out there. I bet Stevens is a better blocker than Scaife. If you want to look at size compare Scaife's size to Hartsock or Crumpler.

They were so close to trading for Gonzalez last year that Adam Schefter was reporting on NFLN that it was a done deal but now they're suppose to be franchising Scaife and looking to lock him up long term? Doesn't make sense to me. Makes more sense if they franchized him w/ thoughts of trading him.

5. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Couldn't disagree with you more. TG isn't some washed up guy like Crumpler. In fact even with the Chief's problems at QB TG's last two seasons were among his best. The guy averaged over the last two years 97 catches and 1100 yards. I'd take two more years of that for 8 years of Scaife and I'm generally a supporter of Scaife. Scaife like production can be replaced in the next two years after Gonzo is gone but we get pro bowl production at the TE position. That is the kind of production that can put this team over the top and especially considering the WRs we have really give the offense a boost. Did I mention that TG had 10 TDs last year? Also, TG is a better blocker than Scaife so we get that added benefit with him in there.

Our offense needs playmakers and adding one at the TE position would be sweet. I also don't think we would have to give up Scaife AND a high draft pick. If we can get TG for Scaife and a 3rd I'm all over it.

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. We aren't going to sign Scaife to a multiyear deal. He'll play out the year with the franchise tag tender for 2 reasons:
    1. He isn't worth a big longterm contract. He just isn't that great.
    2. If we go into a season without a salary cap, the Titans will have him as a restricted free agent in 2010 anyway

As for a trade, I could see it but I think it's unlikely.

7. PitBull

PitBull Bred to Brawl

Amen brother... except I'd rather we keep Scaife and trade Alge because of their ages.

8. PitBull

PitBull Bred to Brawl

And I wouldn't mind going up to 2nd.

Trust me.. TG has another 2-3 years left in him.. and if our D shows up like it did last season, our offense would be unstoppable.

• High Five High Five x 1
  9. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

I think we are going to see better production out of Alge this season. I was very disappointed with him. It seems like he was always fumbling and dropping passes... but he did block real well... however, I disagree with the notion that there is a blocking TE and a receiving TE. It just happens that some guys block better and some guys catch better. Alge can catch. I've seen him do it too many times in a Falcons uniform. The guy grabs a pass and turns up field and runs straight north running over OLB's and corners. I look for drastic improvement. I expect as much. However, Scaife did take the role of receiving TE but that was more a product of Crumpler's struggles than team philosophy. It's true that he was on the field more often in passing situations... but I just want to come out right now and predict a much better season for Crump. Midway through next season you guys will be asking yourself where this guy (Crumpler) was last year.

10. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Once again a contradictory poster tells us why we should trade a guy because he sucks(crumpler) but can't seem to understand that if he sucks than he has no trade value.

If crumpler is not here when camp breaks it will be because we released him to make room for jared cook:bump: or some other promising rookie we just drafted. He has no trade value.

Most likely scaife plays his final season for us at the franchise price of $4.46M which we can afford and he is worth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar