Ian Rapoport: Titans expect Locker to start Sunday

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by titanbuoy, Oct 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Two Kings

Two Kings NJ Titan

Saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay IT TitansWillWin2

• High Five High Five x 6
  2. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

I have my concerns as well. But I tend to think he's actually ready to go. It's too early for such a "desperation" move. Especially one game before the bye. You say we need to "turn the season around fast" but I don't necessarily agree with that. We've lost to two of the top 3-5 teams in the league with our backup QB starting. And they've both been close games. We're a damn good football team we just caught a bad break with our starting QB going down.

Point being, I doubt Munch is in total freakout mode at this point. 10-11 wins is still a realistic possibility. We've all seen how different this team looks without Jake Locker. So I don't think Munch would want to risk his entire season by rushing him back against a great defense right before the bye.

Of course we're both just speculating here. Like I said in the other Locker thread, if he re-injures something during the course of this game it's going to be REALLY bad for Munch.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. Na$hville

Na$hville Veteran

Got em

4. Titans Insider

Titans Insider Titans News

Three weeks after being carted off LP Field and hospitalized, quarterback Jake Locker will be back behind center for the Tennessee Titans.

Locker is expected to start for the Titans on Sunday against the 49ers, according to sources familiar with the situation.

Locker, who sprained his right knee and hip on Sept. 29 against the Jets, practiced during the course of the week and did enough to convince the coaching staff and medical staff he’s capable of playing.

Ryan Fitzpatrick started the past two games for the Titans (3-3), both losses.

Coach Mike Munchak could not be reached for comment on Saturday. He said on Friday that Locker made progress during the course of the week, and he took the majority of the reps in individual and team drills. After another round of discussions on Saturday morning, the Titans ultimately decided on Locker.

At the start of the week, the Titans didn’t expect Locker to be in a position to play. The third-year quarterback was on crutches as recently as Oct. 7, and when he was injured, the initial diagnosis was Locker would need 4-6 weeks to recover from the injuries, which led to him being carted off the field and taken to the hospital.

But Locker, who continues to wear a brace on his right knee and walks with a slight limp, moved well and threw the ball well during the portion of practice open to media.

Munchak said earlier in the week Locker had surprised team officials with his recovery.

“I wouldn’t think last week at this time we’d be talking about this,’’ Munchak said. “I’ve learned how he is. He kept saying, ‘I’m going to be in the conversation for San Francisco,’ and we thought, ‘Yeah, it would be great if you were.’ We were thinking like most people were, and he put himself in that situation (to play). That’s a credit to him and the training staff. … When we saw him hurt that day, we never thought he’d be back this quickly.”

The Titans got off to a 3-1 start behind Locker, who is 69-of-111 passing for 721 yards with six touchdowns and no interceptions. He’s been sacked nine times. Fitzpatrick is 41-of-78 for 526 yards, two touchdowns and four interceptions. He’s been sacked six times.

Fitzpatrick’s poor play undoubtedly helped speed up the interest in getting Locker back on the field even though the Titans have a bye next week. Locker, however, also made it clear to coaches he wanted to return.

“I want to be accountable to these guys and want them to know that I care about them and being a part of this team means something to me,’’ Locker said this week. “Doing everything I could day in and day out to get myself back out there was important for me.”

Share on Facebook

Posted In: League News, Team News

Source: Titans Insider

5. Smash

Smash 2017 Survivor Winner

Let him rest another week, wouldn't want this to be season ending.

6. Titan_nation

Titan_nation Starter

That last statement on what locker said is what he needs to say to pump this team up and kick some as@ . Good luck jake let the force be with you ? Lmao .

7. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Jake is the difference in us being 4-3. He'll have 2 weeks with the bye to get right if anything happens to him Sunday vs SF.

• High Five High Five x 2
  8. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

As long as he can move normally I don't have an issue with it. Behind this crap offensive line though, I have my doubts.

9. DJB

DJB Starter

Why not dress Locker and start Fitzpatrick. After his first pick yank him and put Locker in.

10. titanfanatic

titanfanatic I Piss Excellence Staff

I'll take a 80% Locker over Fitz anytime. Plus I think it boosts the team morale big time. I like our chances now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar