If the playoffs started today... and my perspective on it all.

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by World Peace, Nov 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. World Peace

World Peace Nephew Gunner

Here's my unique perspective:

(I'll list these to most favorable to least favorable.)

Scenario #1) Titans win out the rest of the season and win the superbowl and this team goes down in history as one of the elite teams in NFL history.

Explanation: That would be totally awesome and the chances of that happening are 50/50. We got some gimmie games, but we also face some teams down the road who we will see again in the playoffs (Pitt, Indy, Jets) and these teams could be despirate for a win.

Scenario #2) We lose a few down the stretch but still get home field advantage in the playoffs and go on to the superbowl.

Should we get to the superbowl, in my opinion, if you look at what this team has gone through... Using our punt returner as a cornerback, using 2nd stringers on our front 4 and using a 2nd string quarterback and having a largely mediocre receiving core (which im starting believe they are good, they just never had anyone who could get them the ball)

Getting the to superbowl would put Titans football on the map. Winning it would put Jeff Fisher in the elite class of NFL coachs. Us titans fans consider Fish an elite NFL coach, but the rest of the nation does not. Win or lose, I'm proud of the team either way. Will I be disapointed? Yes. But ill still be proud no matter what.

Scenario #3) We get a home playoff game and get upset. I don't think that will happen... So Lets look at the likely AFC playoff picture, should the playoffs start this weekend.

(http://www.playoffstatus.com/nfl/afcstandings.html) As of 11-20-08

Tennessee - Bye
    Jets - Bye
    Steelers vs Indy or Miami
    Broncos vs Indy or Miami

Lets simulate the AFC playoffs and play hypotheticals just to see what COULD happen.

Lets say Steelers play Miami - Steelers win
    Lets say Broncos play Indy - Indy wins

Theres a chance of Indy coming to TENNESSEE for a playoff game.

Steelers would play the Jets.

I'll personally take the steelers over the Jets, yet it really doesnt matter who I pick, because we will get a good assessment of each team before the playoffs since they are both on our schedule (and we play them at home, in reg season and playoffs). I'll assume Tennessee beats Indy.

It would be Titans vs Steelers or Jets for the Superbowl berth.

This week is such an important game and the Steelers games that is coming up is important as well.

Theres a very good possibility that we could see each of the major playoff contenders before the post season and if Jeff Fisher is as good as a coach as I think he is.. Even if we lose one of those games before then... We will be prepared should we see any of these teams again.

What do you guys think? Lets keep our fingers crossed. Lets just hope everyone stays healthy and we stick to our winning ways.

2. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

Our best match-ups are almost always teams with suspect defenses. Our toughest wins this year have been against the Ravens, Packers and the Bears - all teams with elite defenses.

Teams with high-powered offenses don't worry me nearly as much because I'll take our defense against any offense.

With that in mind, the 1 playoff team that scares me the most is the Steelers. I don't think they can score many points on us, but I could see them totally shutting down our offense, and if Collins is going to have a melt-down, this would be the sort of match-up where you could see it happening.

I don't think a team like the Colts or Broncos match-up nearly as well because I like our chances of scoring 25-30 points against them, and letting our defense do the rest.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Our games with the Jets and Steelers really have become all the more interesting over the past few weeks. We may get the benefit of playing all our playoff games against teams we've already beaten, and at home for the second time. We could play the Colts, take a week off, then play them again in our house, then play Steelers or Jets. It would be an interesting road.

4. World Peace

Ive looked at the Steelers games so far... Tell me what you think:

1 Texans (3-7) 38-17
    2 Browns (4-6) 10-6
    3 Eagles (5-4-1) 6-15
    4 Ravens (6-4) 23-20
    5 Jaguars (4-6) 26-21
    7 Bengals (1-8-1) 38-10
    8 Giants (9-1) 14-21
    9 Redskins (6-4) 23-6
    10 Colts (6-4) 20-24
    11 Chargers (4-6) 11-10

They may have a good D, but look at the teams theyve played. Every playoff team they've played, they've lost too. The rest of the teams don't have great records and havent played well all year. They've only beat 2 teams with winning records.

5. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Their wins over the Ravens and Redskins are solid. It will all be a question of whether our offense can hold up against their defense. We will be all over their backfield with our D. I think we can win the game entirely on defense there. We'll get some short fields off turnovers, and maybe a defensive score.

I think ten points may be enough to win that game.

6. PitBull

PitBull Bred to Brawl

OT.. if we beat the Jets this weekend, I'll hop on the 16-0 bandwagon.

7. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

i'd rather have a loss, go into the playoffs feeling that pain and keep the guys motivated.

8. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

Interesting perspective given your signature.

I want to win every damn game.

• High Five High Five x 2
  9. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

Great point... I've been more concerned with the Jets than the Steelers. And while I think the Jets are a better, more balanced team - the Steelers have a much tougher D. Polamalu could easily change the game if he gets his hand on some of the balls that other defenses have dropped against us. Our D should tear up their O line, but their D could cause us just as many problems.

10. World Peace

I see your point and agree to an extent, but I think theres a very good chance this team is good enough to run the table and with each win they continue to be humble and work harder. They will give up the big plays. Thats competitive nature of the NFL but when the Titans give up a big play, I've noticed in every single game, they've come back with an even bigger play. Instead of the L motivating them, I think when they give up the big play, that motivates them more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar