I'm warming up to Ginn... somewhat...

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Starkiller, Apr 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

I don't understand why people think track stars have a lot of football potential. Sure, Teddy is a football player and not exclusively a track guy, but what reason do we have to believe he will improve catching? All signs point to catching the football as being almost completely inherent. Very rarely do players improve catching. Hand-eye coordination is just as much a God-given ability as speed is. To me, he has a ceiling on production as a wide receiver because he can't catch very well. Sure, he could improve route-running and to a lesser degree injury prevention, but really, if he can't catch, he won't make it at receiver in the NFL.

2. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

He's not fast, but I'll have a helping of Jacoby Jones, please. I can't wait until someone hears this guy interviewed.

Look on the bright side about Ginn: Graves will have him catching bricks in no time. Now why does that remind me of a Monty Python sketch?

3. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

Ginn is a one-trick pony. What happens when he loses a step of his world class speed (which is certain to happen at some stage), or he realises he can't just run around the opposition in the NFL?

It's 3rd and 7 on a critical drive. We need a tough receiver with enough quickness to get open and the size/inclination to fight for the ball when it's thrown into a tight space. That ain't Teddy.

Count me as a non-believer.

4. BaltimoreTitan

BaltimoreTitan Camp Fodder

Ok think about the Ohio State Team. They won games, usually dominated games. In the championship game for the first 20 seconds they dominated until gin got hurt. Then the team rolled over and died. If one player has that much impact on such a good team, then he will have great impact on our team. I liked Bowe cause of blocking, but damnit with pac out i want to see crazy stuff to keep me hyped into watching. Gin will give me that, Bowe gived me short pass to move the chains.

5. texdude2006

texdude2006 Guest

Anthony Gonzalez was more important to that Ohio State team than Ginn was.

6. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

And Anthony Gonzalez is known for benefiting only because Ginn drew all the attention. Gonzalez is nothing and never will be.
    For whoever said we don't need a one play per game type guy - I hope you said the same thing about Vince Young before we drafted him. Vince was/is a one trick pony as well, but he wins us games. The guy isn't the ideal QB, but he's fast. He's not smart, can't read coverages, stares down receivers, inaccurate, BUT at any moment he can make something happen. Who does that sound like at another position?

Ginn is the receiver version of Vince Young. You can't down one and praise the other.

7. Bobo

Bobo Guest

I'm pretty sure that's been covered, I even hit on it at the begining of this thread. I don't think anyone who pays any kind of attention to the draft doesn't realize his biggest asset so far has been his return ability.

I'm looking at other guys who could do returns. Revis, Hall, Breaston, Figurs. And then guys who should have the skills to do so like Wolfe, Booker, Ahmad Bradshaw. Some of these guys are more polished at their positions, and some are going to be had a lot later than 19. Maybe none of these guys will be as good as Ginn at returns, but if they are at least good, and are less risky at their positions or can be had much later, then that should weigh heavy on the minds in our FO.

8. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Just a thought, where did Ginn finish statistically in the NCAA in kick return average?

Answer, #29. There were players from almost every major conference who finished ahead of Ginn (thus we can eliminate those from smaller schools as an excuse). Marcus Thigpen, Indiana was first with a 30 yard average so right there is a legit player from the same conference, playing against similar competition who had and average of over 5 yards per return better.

Certainly this doesn't take away from Ginn being a legit return guy but what it does say is there are guys out there that can return well. If we draft Ginn it better be because we think he is the best WR as well as a good KR.
    By the way Ginn was 3rd in his conference in KR average and only had one TD for the season.

Oh, Ginn was 4th in his conference in PRs. Figurs, a Kansas State player led his conference in punt returns with a nice 14.68 average, 5th in the nation. Ginn's PR average? 11.08. 25th in the nation. Steve Breaston, Michigan was 20th. Even Jonathan Hefney, Tennessee was better at 17.

9. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

NO!

10. texdude2006

texdude2006 Guest

Vince is not a one trick pony...thats one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.

He also touches the ball EVERY play as opposed to a receiver who if lucky touches it 8-10 times a game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar