IMO, no WR with the first pick

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by fitantitans, Apr 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. You clearly haven't been watching the Titans for very long then. McNair was a league MVP in a dink-and-dunk offense? Riiiiiiight...

2. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

How else did he average a career high 8.0 yards per pass?

3. Textitan

Textitan Camp Fodder

I know everyone on here wants the kid from Vanderbilt in the second round, but I think the Titans do not go receiver in the first, and I hope that take Donnie Avery out of UofH. Very fast (one of the fastest times at the combine), good route runner, a lot of experience in catching the ball coming from Art Briles system, and likes to get to the endzone. I think it would work!

4. I think a playmaker like Avery is far more likely than Earl Bennett, or at least will be higher on our draft board. I think Bennett will be a good WR, but teams won't like his speed for a guy with his height.

But he could still end up being a Derrick Mason type and well worth a 2nd round pick.

5. Ubiq

Ubiq BAMF

Earl is a stud, no doubt about it. The Mason comparison is pretty accurate. Being a successful receiver is about knowing the game and being able to catch anything, both are Bennett's strengths.

He was on the radio here in Nashville a couple of weeks ago and was asked which teams have shown the least interest in him and he said Denver and Tennessee. A lot of people claim that teams intentionally show no interest, at least publicly, in the players they draft. Just a little food for thought I guess.

6. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

he has ties with cutler, so i can see why denver would look at him. then again, why not stay in nashville where he belongs?

7. fitantitans

fitantitans This space For Rent

I think when drafting a WR, you would want a player with a head on his shoulders rather than a target. WR is one of those positions whereas if you keep dropping balls or missing routes, they start refering to you as a defensive back! Memorizing and understanding a play book about the size of a Cleveland phone book isn't easy. Reviewing films and being able to study the other teams defenses won't come naturally.
    After drafting Pacman, I think the Titans will steer clear of anyone considered a "bad person".

8. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

The thing I like about Bennett is he could be the kind of guy who VY can look to for first downs much in the way Mason and McNair hit it off. Option routes where the WR can get seperation and make the catch and the QB can have a chemistry with the guy to depend on him getting open mean far more than having a speed guy IMO. I really believe there were times where Mac simply focused on Wycheck or Mase and wasn't making 3 or 4 reads and those guys were good enough to find the openings in the defense and catch the ball.

There are 100s of speedy WRs that don't amount to a bag of bolts in the NFL. We actually need guys who can get open in a phone booth and make tough catches IMO. Bennett is that kind of guy. I'm also not real high on large WRs because bigger guys with decent speed still don't have the quicks to get out of cuts and get seperation. Bennett and Crumpler would give us the guys we need. Get a dynamic 3rd down back and we are set.

9. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Very much so. Since when have we not been a dink and dunk O? Only difference was, we actually had mason to do something after the catch at the time.
    But ok. Lets pretend Heimerdinger didn't have to convince Jeff to open up the playbook from his conservative ways. Let's pretend that we were lighting it up through the air.

and I'm going to laugh at you come this season when we're still running on 1st and 2nd down. Just like we have the last 10 years.

10. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

You mean, like having the 5th most passing yards in the NFL?

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2003/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar