In the Market for a Laptop

Discussion in 'Gear' started by vslyke, Apr 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VolnTitan

VolnTitan Starter

I'm not pretentious at all. But if you want trouble free, get a Mac. Go to Apple.com and get a refurbished one or get a student discount off a new one. There is nothing a PC can do that a mac cannot. That's not being pretentious, it's just a fact. The biggest reason for a Mac for you is you don't have to worry about viruses messing up your computer. And no viruses means no virus protection programs bringing your computer to a crawl. I have both mac and PC at my house including a year old HP desktop and a 6+ year old basic ibook. The PC is dead in the water right now after my wife got hold of a virus. She is using the ibook right now and it's light year's faster for her so the PC sits there right now.

If you live in Nashville, I noticed Mac Authority are selling refurbished Macbooks for $599. Don't know the stats, but that is an option. Getting a PC is fine and they are cheaper for sure, but there are more concerns out there than just the bottomline, especially if you want it to last your 4 years in college. Good luck on whatever you choose!

2. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Macs do get viruses.

3. Zephyr

Zephyr Sec 139

Guys with Macs wear girl jeans and black rimmed glasses

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. VolnTitan

VolnTitan Starter

I've had macs in my house for 8 or so years. I work in the video business and have for 20 something years and been around Macs since then. Never had virus protection. Never had virus. My father has a new imac and he did get a virus. So yes it can happen. Oh yeah...he uses windows on it primarily.

5. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

why do people think Graphic artist and Macintosh go hand in hand ? weird

let me break it down like this, I bought a $999 "White"book a few weeks ago
    and while it might not be as fancy as offerings from Sony or Dell ,one thing it has going for it is that it is not an offering by Sony or Dell ;)

if you've ever used iTunes, you've got aall you need to know about OSX
    just go do a little looking around
    go to apple.com and watch a few of the videos about programs like iMovie, iPhoto, iWeb, iTunes and see if you like them
    if you live in the Nashville area, go by MacAuthority (65/Wedgewood) or higher-end BEst Buys (Murfreesboro/Cool Springs) and play around with their Macs a little

I've never met a single person who switched and regretted it

6. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

when are you getting yours ?

7. VolnTitan

VolnTitan Starter

And Macauthority has refurb macbook for $599.

8. vslyke

vslyke In Dinger We Trust

Yeah, I'm not getting an HP. Their customer service is garbage, and I really don't want to have to deal with their laptops again.

I'll look at Apple, but I wish I could get a model with more than 2 GBs of RAM. Most of the other laptops in that range have 4. Does it really make a difference?

9. VolnTitan

VolnTitan Starter

Depends on what you are doing really. If all you are doing is internet and writing, probably not. But ram is so cheap now, that isn't a big deal. Macs are more expensive for sure, but weight in costs of virus software and then machine slowing down. If you go the PC route, I would just go to best buy and look them over and see which one is "coolest" looking and then see if you can beat the price on the web.

10. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

When I start visiting the local starbucks, typing my novel in my metrosexual clothes sipping my latte.

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar