Increase Speed of your computer + speed up Firefox

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by RyansTitans, Jul 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Uhhhh... yeah sure. Just as soon as other versions of BSD have a user interface and ease of use that can really match what Apple has.

People who have Macs and keep buying them don't do it because of marketing. They buy more because they like them.

2. I completely disagree. Macs aren't for everyone, but there are very good reasons for people to evangelize the Mac.

Apple didn't copy BSD. Apple used BSD legitimately. Apple bought NeXT, and converted their OS for Macs. NEXTSTEP ran on top of BSD. There's nothing evil about it.

Mac zealots loved the old OS over older versions of Windows (pre-Win98). But even the most diehard Mac fans wanted something more by the late 90's when OS 8 and 9 were showing their age. We were very hot after BeOS, which ran on Mac hardware.

Not at all. BSD is only part of OS X. BSD is just the engine. There are lots of other parts that go into the car.

As I pointed out above, Apple isn't stealing BSD. Apple is licensing it. They are using a version specifically called FreeBSD. It doesn't require them to make their entire OS open source. BSD itself is open source, but that doesn't mean anything that uses it has to be open source.

Apple isn't making patent licensing deals like MS is. That's like comparing apples to... well... nevermind...

Mac fans complain about Apple stuff. That's completely normal. We expect the best and we call them on sub-par products.

As far as aesthetics, tons of consumers care about form over function. It's not just computers. Most people don't want to buy an ugly car. But Apple was the first big company to realize that some people didn't want just a beige box...

3. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

man...every time I see these arguments, I am amazed at how the PC camp utterly fails to present a rational argument, yet continues to try in spite of the fact that there is clearly no experience to base it on.

I was introduced to computer audio engineering in it's early days by a complete PC snob. I caught up with him again last year, and he just bought a Macbook Pro. He said he recently saw firsthand how Windows made everything 10 times harder than it needed to be and won't use it again.

4. Slackmaster

Slackmaster Starter

Hahahaha.

PC enthusiasts are irrational.
    Apple is great. They should continue to claim a monopolistic grip on an open source OS rebranded in a proprietary form.
    It is good when Apple closes their format.
    Apple users are not swayed by marketing, but they do appreciate the asesthetic value of the Apple. Form over function is rational. Really.

I get it.

5. They didn't re-brand FreeBSD, they openly acknowledge that it is what's under the hood. And they don't have a "monopolistic grip" on FreeBSD. They simply built on top of an existing and freely available product.

I don't see what is so hard to understand about this...

That's their choice. And it clearly doesn't stop people from loving their product.

Explain to me how marketing is the only thing that keeps Mac users from switching...

As for aesthetics, Apple wouldn't successfully sell underpowered computers on just looks alone. But any idiot can tell that people ofter prefer to buy something that looks nice and isn't functional but ugly.

6. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

No, you are flat out making that **** up. I've owned 3 PCs and they all failed to perform correctly. I got a Mac, and it performed flawlessly. I got another, and it still performs flawlessly. I have yet to see any of those "Mac vs. PC" commercials that weren't proven to me by experience to be true. I don't freakin care what it looks like....I JUST WANT IT TO WORK.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar