Interesting article on McNair

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Aug 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Kuharsky has a piece in this morning's Tennessean:
    http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060810/SPORTS01/608100411/1027

It basically discusses how the coaches made excuses for McNair and shouldn't go down that road wth Young. Very interesting stuff.

Over the years, I've heard sound bytes from coaches which appeared to be excuses for a number of players. Pacman got more than his share last year, for example. There was little negative said about poor tackling and errors made by veterans.

I can understand why coaches want to guard the confidence of players and I like an optimistic approach. I just hope the coaches and staff take a more realistic view of what happens on the field behind closed doors.

2. H Man

H Man Guest

It was interesting, huh? I think they'll probably do the same for Young...and others too. Fairly common, especially with highly drafted, high vis players. Unless they're obvious problem children. I'm thinkin' Ryan Leaf, Lawrence Phillips, and that sort. And it kinda makes sense too. Huge investments in these guys.

You think the Titans "protect" there players more than other teams? Fisher being a player in the league factor into the equation?

3. TitanJeff

I don't follow others teams nearly as closely so I can answer that. I do remember Jimmy Johnson's approach where he admitted he allowed his star to get away with a lot more. At least he was up front and honest about it.

I have often questioned a Fisher comment where it was obvious he was protecting a player who didn't necessarily deserve it. I see the importance of doing that sometimes but I also see a danger in it unless it is being dealt with behind closed doors.

I also see it as a problem for other players as some mentioned at the end of last season. The "special" treatment Pacman received from Fisher clearly had a negative impact on some of the players.

4. H Man

H Man Guest

I can see that. Oh please, don't make me remember that sissy tackling, and the lame excuses! Although, I also remember Fisher benching him during a game (after PacBoy threw his little fit)...and making no excuses.

I hope getting out of town has a positive impact on the team as a whole. From what I've read so far, they seem to be coming together. I don't mean to be off topic, I'm just hoping there's more of a team chemistry and comraderie this year.

5. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

I'm of the opinion that as far as individual players are concerned I think it is important that publicly a coach should back them to the hilt. In the locker room the player may be getting read the riot act but if it stays behind closed doors most players will respect that and respond positively to it.

6. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

always a morale booster at work if an employee feels another employee is receiving "special" treatment. Because it is a perception issue, the onus is on the staff to clearly demonstrate to everyone that there is no ambiguity is what is acceptable.

I think Fisher's history as a player causes him to "relate" to the players too closely and this got him into trouble with team morale last year. He seems to have taken steps this year to correct it. (I also think his personal life is better and he has better professional focus).

7. TitanJeff

I understand but you also have Fisher using the media at times "to send a message" to a player. So a player is to believe the public statements when it's negative but not when the coach doesn't hold the player accountable by sugarcoating a situation?

I see it as a mixed message or that the coach isn't dealing in reality.

8. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

It's an interesting point. I guess the coach is only human & at times he may react to a media question & say something harsh in the heat of the moment or as you say he may use the media intentionally to push a players buttons.

Ultimately I suppose we have no idea what goes on behind closed doors. Maybe what we're seeing now with his statements on Calico is that Fisher's tried every option & there's nothing left to sugarcoat .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar