Interesting reason Pats played starters late

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Riverman, Jan 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

I was listening to Sirius NFL at lunch. Pats caller pointed out that the probable reason the Pats risked starters late in the game for the win this year as opposed to last year was because a win put them against the Jets, a loss would have put them at risk to play Denver (who they have trouble matching up with).

Doesn't mean much- just hadn't heard it before.

2. It didn't matter whether the Pats won or lost, in retrospect. They were the #4 seed either way because the Colts also won. They would have had to hope the Colts lost to improve their position any.

3. adamwinn51

adamwinn51 Starter

But when they were playing, they didn't know if the colts had won. If they won and the colts lost, they would have jumped them, thus something to play for.

4. DeutschTitan

DeutschTitan Camp Fodder

If that's their reasoning, then the pats are a bunch of wimps. What's so big about 3 or 4? I could see if you were 4th and had a chance at 2nd..ok, but from 4th to 3rd? C'mon.....the pats just didn't want to be another highlight reel for our win streak. I hope the Jets crush em. Also, side note, I watched the game highlights yesterday and saw that TD pass to Hartsock. Why was it called back? It looked good to me.

5. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

They were playing to win to get the opponent they wanted- not improve home field advantage.

6. DeutschTitan

DeutschTitan Camp Fodder

still doesn't matter...the colts weren't going to loose to Miami at home. The pats are a bunch of whiny pre-madonna's who think their owed something for winning 3 superbowls in 4 years. Just see how they responded to the whole Wade/Harrison issue or how they let Vinny go for the TD.

7. A.D.

A.D. It's (insert day of week here) & Colts still SUCK Staff

8. PatsFan23

PatsFan23 Guest

Actually, it did matter that they won (well, would have).
    A Pats win and a Colts loss would have gotten them a #3 seed instead of #4. Going under the assumption that Denver was going to beat SF, a #3 would have gotten them the Jets this week. However, due to the Denver loss, it's the Jets anyways. They had to play to win becasue Indy's game was at 4:00pm est.

9. PatsFan23

PatsFan23 Guest

You always play to get a lower seed in the playoffs.
    Any chance, however slim, to get another game at home you have to take.
    Titans would have done the same in that position.

10. PatsFan23

PatsFan23 Guest

Regarding the Vinny TD, read through before you butcher me.....

The Pats scored that TD with 1:45 to go. Before it was scored, the Pats led by 10. Bullock is complaining about being "disrespected" because the Pats went for the TD. The way it worked out, if the Titans won, they'd be in teh playoffs.

So -- if I was Bullock, I would have LOVED for the Pats to keep playing instead of taking a knee. How many picks did the Titans bring back for a TD this year? Bullock's comments seem to say he wanted to stop playing and go home. In retrospect, while going for the TD, the Pats were also giving the Titans a chance to get back in it. A pick and TD would have made it a 3 point game with almost 2 minutes left. If I was a Titans fan, I'd much rather have seen the Pats go for it than take a knee. Titans have no chance of scoring if Vinny takes a knee.

SO go ahead...butcher away......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar