Is Cutler the best QB in the draft

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by maximus, Apr 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

The problem is that a lot of fans and the media as well argue that Leinart is better, not because of skill, but because his team won more than Cutlers. With that line of reasoning, the "better teammates" argument is very valid.

2. rcarie

rcarie Tac Head

Leinhart has proven to be better under preasure than Cutler too. He's played in several very big games and won almost all of them. Yes, he played on a team with a lot of talent but you could say that for every BCS team. Look at Ohio State, Penn State, West Virginia, LSU and on and on.... They're all stocked with good players so I don't think saying that Leinhart was good just because he had good players around him is completly fair. I think all those good players make up a good team not an individual player. To me, it's all about winnig. Leinhart knows how to win. He's used to being a winner. He's used to being the captian of a championship team and you can't measure or put a grade on that. Cutler is pretty good and there's nothing that says he can't come out and tear it up. Same goes for Young... But, if I was the one who's job depended on making a good pick I'd pick the guy that already knows how to win and win on the biggest stage.

3. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Decent read on Leinart and significance of his pro-day.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2397632

4. and think about this, vince is even better under pressure games and when they went head to head vince had the heigher passer rating;)

5. PragIdealist

PragIdealist Guest

And this is a prime example of penalizing someone for what team they were on. To me if you judge someone better or worse because of their winning percentage or bowl games then you're judging him based on the team he played for. The nfl is not the nba- I don't think one player can drastically change that much in the nfl. <--- but that is my assumption

Personally, I like Cutler, but I'm not so sold on him that I can positively state he is better than either of the other two. It doesnt bother me at all when someone says ML or VY is better than him. What does bother me is when ppl use arguements like this.

I dont mean that it really upsets me or anything, its just kind of frustrating. If you dont like Cutler or if you like other guys better than him fine; but give me reasoning that doesnt include stats, wins, or bowl games.

If you want to say ML is the smarter QB, he's ran the closest thing to a pro-style offense ,and he is the most accurate and saavy qb on the board then great.

If you want to say VY is supremely atheletic and blows others away because of it, then I get that.

If you even want to say, that you question Cutler's ability to make decisions and his ability to develop that in nfl....cool.

But to me to say VY or ML is better because they won this game or that game or a set of games.... its just doesnt seem to be a very solid argument to me. :winker:

6. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I agree completely.
    Cutler is in a peculier situation because most top QBs do also play for fairly successfull teams. Still, Cutler never had a chance to lead his team from behind against ND with the likes of Bush and Co. Can't fault a guy because his team was not good enough to put him in those situations to begin with.

7. PragIdealist

PragIdealist Guest

Soxcat,I think you and I have been on the same side of this for awhile and I've seen you get a lot of crap for it. But the way I see it is there are Vince Young fans, there are ML fans, and there are Cutler fans-and thats all cool. Personally I'm a Titans fan and want them to get whoever is the best qb for the NEW titans and I'm hearing more and more of that sentiment as we get closer to the draft.

I think its an exciting time to be a Titans fan. We are developing a new face, a new style, and a new identity. What will that look like and how will we get it done? I sure as hell don't know. But I'm loving watching it develop. :toast:

8. titanduck77

titanduck77 Camp Fodder

this message is to the title of the topic, in words hell no (vince young, or matt leinart)

9. rcarie

rcarie Tac Head

I you don't judge a player on stats and wins than what do you judge them on?? That's part of it. Like I said, I like Cutler but I like Leinhart better. My reasoning is my reasonin just like you don't really have a legitimit reason for liking Cutler more than the other two. To say that winning doesn't matter is crazy. Leinhart was the best player on the best team in the country for three straight years in row, not to mention, a Heisman Trophy winner to boot. He's pretty damn solid.

You could make that arguement for ML very easily.

Sorry, but that's what ends up being the bottom line. There's no question that Cutler would've done fine with a team like Texas or USC but that's all speculation and fact of the matter is that he played at Vandy. Like it or not he'll have to prove himself better than the stigma that comes along with playing at a losing school.

10. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Abilities and skills come to mind. A quarterback can easily play lights out and still have his team lose the game (think Volek the other year).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar