Is Eddie George a Hall of Fame RB?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by The Playmaker, May 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

Dude,

My point was that stats aren't everything. Thomas had phenomenal stats but he went missing in the big games when his team needed him the most.

Eddie came straight out of the box & did exactly what it said on the label. He ran hard from day one & never quit. A very large part of our 90's run was down to Eddie George in the locker room as well as what he did on the field.

We should never have let Lorenzo Neal go,that hurt Eddie's production a lot. Remember the 03 Divisional game against the Ravens,Eddie carried the load,separated shoulder to boot. What he meant to the Titans is worth more than his stats show.

Thurman Thomas was a choker under pressure & I'd take Eddie George over him any day. The HOF should be about more than stats alone.

2. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Childress..

You make a case for thomas not being there but eddie wasn't hall material. Eddie played great in many big games but most of his career he still was just a 4 yard a carry back and never a great pass receiver. A near hall guy but that's it.

I also don't buy the lorenzo neal point. If neal is that valuable then he should be the hall player not eddie. a hall of fame back doesn't require one particular fullback to make or break him. In 2000 even with neal, eddie had just 3.7 ypc. Eddie just wasn't quite good enough for long enough.

3. Eddie was a great back regardless of his YPC. He carried our offense for years despite playing against defenses with 8 and 9 men in the box trying to stop him specifically.

It was just after his toe surgery that he stank.

4. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

I know your right I 'd just like him to be there.

Now tell me that Ray Childress doesn't deserve to be there.:))

5. PitBull

PitBull Bred to Brawl

I like eddie..
    i've always admired his leadership, and the 128 consective starts which he gave us, but i really wouldn't consider Eddie George's stats HOF worthy..
    If he had Corey dillon's yards, it would be a different story..

6. BigRed3

BigRed3 Straight Cash, Homey

I really hate to say it, because Eddie was my all-time favorite football player (Titans or otherwise), but no I don't think that Eddie is a hall of fame running back.

7. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Let me ask this question, is Ricky Watters a HOF running back?
    He had more TDs, more yards and had over 4000 recieving yards (EG had 2200).
    (Eddie had 68 total TDs for his career, Watters had 91)
    Watters also had 3 TDs in a SB win for SF and holds the record for most TDs in a post season game (5). Watters also averaged over 100 total yards in every game he played.

Watters deserves it much more than Eddie IMO.

8. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

If memory serves, Neal was used only about 40% of George's carries in 2000. Most were short-yardage situations. I wish I could put my hands on the stat I read once which actually broke down the total yards Eddie had with and without Neal on the field. I clearly pointed to Neal not having much of an impact on Eddie's overall yardage that season.

As for Eddie, the toe ended his career but I think he was overused in 2000 as well. I ran across an article the other day from Football Outsiders which discusses Eddie that season:

"The freely available player database at pro-football-reference.com has game-by-game statistics from 1996-2005. The most strenuous four week stretches for a running back over that timeframe would make even Herman Edwards blush. The top ten independent streaks all had 118 carries or more — Eddie George, who had the most strenuous four-week stretch, had a whopping 128 carries. That’s a pace that would put him at 512 carries for the season. And people wonder what happened to him…"

"He had a single carry in Week 8, then 12 in Week 10, but then returned to his starting role for the remainder of the season. George was given the ball 30 or more times on four more occasions in 2000, but he averaged 3.99 yards per carry in Weeks 1-7 and 3.55 afterwards. He had three more 300-carry seasons in him, but none of them were particularly effective. Was this the stretch that broke the camel’s back? It’s an arguable point."

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/2007/02/14/ramblings/four-downs/4952/

9. BigRed3

BigRed3 Straight Cash, Homey

Great analysis there, bro.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar