Is McNair worth $10 million?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Jan 27, 2006.

?
  1. Yup

16 vote(s)
    31.4%
  2. Naw

35 vote(s)
    68.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

if Moon and Carlson had the same contract Reese should have been fired

2. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

true dat

3. I looked it up.

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1208/is_n11_v217/ai_14887932

Moon's contract ($3.25M) was pretty similar to Carlson's ($3M). But Moon was 38, had more trade value, and he hadn't gotten them to a Super Bowl when they were contenders. Plus, they thought Carlson would be better than he turned out (Billy Volek, anyone?).

Plus, Floyd Reese was a new GM and I'm guessing he did what Bud told him to do since Bud was far more involved on a day-to-day basis when the team was still in Houston.

4. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

Well okay then...btw- I never said I wasn't insane...:lol3: How about this then...?
    All of this hinges upon whether we take a quarterback with the first pick and who that said quarterback is. Maybe if Young is taken at #3 McNair stays, gets paid 8 million or something...If Leinart somehow falls to us then all of a sudden paying McNair a whole boatload of money doesn't make sense anymore and he either stays for as little as Reese thinks he can get away with or McNair buzzes off to the Raiders, Dolphins, or Jets...in which case we would keep Volek, thus guaranteeing a losing season and another high draft pick to get that next stud offensive player we need. (RB) Then we can let Chris Brown fly to FA and really work on shoring up OL, LB, FS/SS...I'd say we'd really be poised to compete after one more crap year...

You really think that Reese would draft Young and ditch McNair?
    That's kinda insane, I think. (on Floyd's part of course.)

5. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

I don't think Leinart can just step in and light it up either... In any scenario, our best bet is to keep McNair for another year or two and trade Volek. I doubt we do any better than a mid 3rd though. Probably more like a 4th.

6. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I'd be delighted to get a third for Volek at this point. But I just don't see anyone willing to deal for him.

7. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

Agreed on the Leinart point. The question on my mind is whether the money spent tying up McNair could be better used in the way of obtaining defensive FAs. I just see McNair as crucial if Young is drafted but to a lesser extent with another draft pick. Trust me, I'm not trying to make a case for Volek MVP or anything...

8. #1TitansFan

#1TitansFan Camp Fodder

If Reese had planned on McNair not taking a paycut and taking the $10M, and we will still be able to resign KVB and other defensive players, then I have no problem with him getting the money. If Reese did not plan on this and it will cause us to not have any cap to resign Kyle and other good defensive players, then we need to either get McNair's contract or release him.

9. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

What does the $10M mean?

Is it his total per year package that would count against the cap or just salary? In 2005 he made $9M in salary but counted $27.5M against the cap. Yes $27.5M! I don't see a single post that even mentions that. Looking at that comparison $10m doesn't seem so bad.

For a 12 year vet QB who has been a good player that is not an outrageous number and more likely he will play for a little less than that. But a $10m pay package means that he counts $17M less against the cap which is more than enough to get a reggie wayne or cato june on board. Wouldn't that be great to sign those 2 guys away from the colts?:greedy:

10. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

Tide- mac only cost us 7.1mil in cap hit last yr. He played for the near the vet minimum and then had the rest in restructured SB.

I think we all agree that Mac is not worth 10mil a yr. Problem is that he has old SB money that will hit the cap forsure to go on top of his base salary and new signing bonus.

I personally think that on the open market Mac would be worth more around 5mil a year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar