Is this team getting worse???

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by karamello, Mar 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Lets see... Scott doesn't appear to be much of an upgrade, if at all, compared to Bell. Crumpler is good. Our WRs are probably considered in the bottom 5 teams of the league. We are worse on D-line. I don't think J-Mac or Kearse are gonna do much. Kearse will do more by default since we don't have a real starter at that side.

Real good offseaon, maybe, but I don't think so. I think it's been disappointing. But good offseason or not, is this team really better, at this point, than it was last season?

2. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

2) No we didn't...he was out midseason
    3) We had him last season (and his contract was only FOR that season)
    4) Yeah, and we'll have them again this year
    5) okay
    6) Its not irrelevant because the draft has eveything to do with FA
    7) We added a veteran who can actually catch the ball (I didn't see Chris Davis, Byron Ealy, or Brandon Jones catching any balls last season) It is significant because we added someone who can contribute NOW instead of possibly later
    8) yep, Norm Chow sucked
    9) Kearse doesn't replace Odom, but as long as we have a solid DE who has proven to get to the QB, we'll be fine. In Philly, Kearse was told to stop the run too often...he's better at getting to the QB.
    10) Scott protected one of the best QB's in the nfl, and he did it well. (lack of sacks) I recall Bell giving up a sack or two last year. Plus, Peyton Manning wasn't given the gift of speed that Vince Young was given, Young is a mobile quarterback and he was still sacked more.
    11) Yes, the new RB coach had a lot of experience in the NFL and coached the pro-bowler Clinton Portis (enough said)
    12) Ben Troupe was a ghost on our team for many years, he was unproductive and he couldn't figure out the playbook. Aside from his blocking, Hartsock wasn't a good TE. (look at his numbers)

so I believe its your turn to argue

3. Alex1939

You said the team was better, RIGHT NOW, compared to last season.

If we are talking on that basis, than that excludes the draft and any re-signings that may or may not happen.

Having the same players that we had last season doesn't make us better, in regards to Hope and AH, and the O-line that will stay the same.

It's opinion on whether or not Scott is better than Bell, either way, I just don't see a HUGE difference between the two, so I don't feel we are BETTER at O-line, just roughly the same.

J-Mac as a number3 WR doesn't make me feel that this team is better.
    Kearse as the new starting DE makes me feel the team is worse.

Crumpler is clearly an improvement. And you made a good point about the RBs coach that I didn't realize.

Still, the Titans offseason overview is basically:
    2 new Offensive coaches.
    The addition of TE Crumpler.
    The replacement at guard of Scott instead of Bell.
    The loss of the Odom/LaBoy combo on D-line, so far only filled by Kearse.
    A lot of mediocre or downright sucky players cut. One added in J-mac. (sorry I just don't think he is going to do anything significant this year)

That just doesn't make me think that this team is really better, right now, than the team at the end of last season.

4. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

I get your points but you have to realize that the new coaches, crumpler, scott, and kearse will only add to this teams chances of getting to a championship. I'm not THRILLED about the J-mac signing but I have to say that for the money, it wasn't bad. It's better to get J-mac (who is familiar with Heimerdingers playbook) than do nothing with WR's and trust the ones we have (who haven't produced). IMO the only FA WR's that could have produced were Randy Moss and Bernard Berrian...all the others are medicore, number 2 to 3 receievers. Bryant Johsnon? D.J Hackett? Drew Carter? All getting paid TONS of money? That doesn't make sense to me, and i'm glad we didn't waste our money.

Last season, around this time...we weren't playoff contenders, we still had the same mediocre recievers (until the signing of gage), the D line hadn't done anything until Haynesworth had his "break through" season, Norm Chow was still offensive coordinator, and we still had chris brown and ben troupe on the squad.

how are we NOT better than last season?

5. soopacee

soopacee I'm Blaine Bishop

yeah thats been working for us eh.....

6. soopacee

soopacee I'm Blaine Bishop

id rather take a gamble than not do anything....look at Givens...that was a gamble that didnt pay and we cut him....so be it

you have to do what you can at the time....its not like all that money is gonna roll over to next season

wasting money would be signing david carr for 50 million
    gambling money would be signing Dj Hackett for 20 million

you know when its worth a CHANCE at least

7. Alex1939

Carter got a really cheap one year deal. Bryant Johnson was one year as well, but I don't remember the contract. DJ Hackett is unsigned. It could be that all these guys will suck, but they weren't expensive.

I'd like any of them, especially at one year deals.

That's true. I hope the coaches really do make that much difference. I think Vince will play better even if we had the same coaches as last year, basically cause I don't feel he was ever 100%, but hopefully the new coaches help him improve even more.

There's still a small part of me that thinks Roydell and B.Jones could still do well and deserve another shot. I guess that's the FO thinking, because it's pretty obvious we are going to draft a WR at some early point in the draft. Gage-Roydell-DraftPick-B.Jones/J-Mac is, my guess, our starting lineup.

Or maybe Paul Williams is the next Jerry Rice. :baghead:

8. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

it will be:

1)Gage/Roydell
    2)Roydell/JMac
    3)JMac/Draft pick (hopefully)
    4)Chris Davis/Paul Williams

IMO Mike Williams and Brandon Jones are gone. I think there MIGHT be some talent left in Jones but probably not. Mike Williams should have NEVER been picked up.

9. karamello

karamello Camp Fodder

OK. Let me say this...the front office has always made "smart" moves and I've always appreciated that. I just don't see any improvement thats says "championship" just yet. I'd like them to take a few more risks. They don't always payoff--but sometimes they do. It doesn't have to necessarily be in shelling out money...but maybe a pick early that you'd might not get so early because of something but talent-wise its more than reasonable. Not that they won't...just haven't seen it yet.

I too aren't sure a top-caliber WR is going to come play in this offense, till VY shows he can blend his wheels with his arm a la McNabb--minus the dumb jokes and irritating attempts at being funny. So I'm thinking the draft may be the way to go for now. That being said the D could be shored up thru FA which is where experience can help you right away; more so than a Rookie tryin to learn the system.

So we'll see...I'm always optimistic about the leadership...just getting anxious cause I see the potential and want it realized.

10. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

No because Stallworth sucks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar