Is this the final time we see Alterraun Verner as a Titan?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by JCBRAVE, Dec 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Well I clearly remember me telling everyone we'd offer him a contract, but it wont be to his liking, and will force him to walk.

2. JCBRAVE

For what its worth Jerry Gray just said McCourty is his most consistent player this year. And j-Mac has prototype size and speed, stop trolling me lol

3. JCBRAVE

I hadn't put much thought into us franchising him, but to do so would cost $11M

When you hold up Verner's 2013 stats to Revis' 2011 stats the numbers are nearly identical. Revis ended up with a $16M/yr deal, so actually a franchise tag might be perfect for Verner.

Like Toronto said before, Verner is coming off a career year, and those are the guys you have to watch out for because they likely wont repeat that level of success, but a franchise tag could buy us enough time to bring his price tag down.

4. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

People still overpay for Cornerbacks in today's NFL?!?!?1

That's stupid. Can anyone name a "big" CB signing in the past 5 years that was actually a great pickup???

Finnegan-Bust
    Asomugha-Bust
    Revis-cannot comment, do not know

It's a horrible investment. Pay for QBs, DEs, and WRs (TEs). Those are about the only impact players in today's NFL. You can bring forth a decent CB from the stones in today's NFL. It's a position that should become less and less of a commodity. The odds are stacked against them anyways.. a team with average CBs will do just as well as those with elites. It's all about the offense in today's NFL

5. JCBRAVE

Youre probably onto something but in Verner's case, I only see him improving. He's a lot like Ronde Barber who up until his final year was still regarded as a top CB. Their styles allow them to play great football for a long time because their games are mostly mental. While most DB's and WR's tire as the game goes on, Verner improves. He learns his opponents so that by the 4th play he's licking his chops getting ready for a pick-6.

He can still get stronger and maybe even faster (technique-wise) I say pay the guy. He's a model citizen, and loves to tackle. As long as we have Brown and Ayers, we need our CB's to be sure tacklers. Sensabaugh, Wreh-Wilson, those 2 can't tackle like Verner can.

Unless we plan on blowing a top pick on a CB, we need to either franchise Verner or extend his contract 5 years.

6. Upright7

Upright7 Special Teams Standout

McCourty > Verner. I think we locked up the right guy. Blidi-Wrey or Campbell will be starting opposite JMac with Coty in the slot next year. We might try to lock up Vern, but I think it is too late. I think he is at his ceiling and watched him get burnt all year despite making a lot of good splash plays.

7. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

its because those players go to teams that do not have the same system they excelled in.

8. Upright7

Upright7 Special Teams Standout

Sensabaugh is a good tackler. We don't know if Wilson can tackle yet, he hasn't logged a lot of playing time.

9. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

Yeah. I like Verner. He's one of the few current Titans that I don't hate with a firey passion. He is a hard worker and an overachiever considering he is not a physical freak of nature.

I would like him to stay. I really would. But if he demands big-time money, he can take a hike, IMO. If anybody else wants to blow their money on a cornerback.. then they can go right ahead.. and I'll cheer for him on his next team, unless it's the steelers.

Titans should do everything short of paying top-tier money, to get him to stay. No CB in today's game is worth QB money.

10. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Let's not overlook the fact that Jerry Gray was trying to pinch ATV out of the starting job and put Tommie Campbell in. Remember the Campbell hype? It became CLEARLY obvious to all observers that ATV was WAY better than Campbell.

Put that in the bozo coaching file.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar